Building VBoxGuestAdditions.iso in VB OSE

Discussions related to using the OSE version of VirtualBox.
AndersKOlsson
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: SLES 10

Building VBoxGuestAdditions.iso in VB OSE

Post by AndersKOlsson »

Hello,

I notice that when building VB OSE 2.2.2 for Linux, only some .a files in lib/additions are built.

I see in on line 2124 of configure:

Code: Select all

[ $OSE -eq 0 -a "$OS" != "darwin" ] && check_mkisofs
that it will only be configured for building if the variable $OSE is "0". From reading the file I see that it defaults to being "1", and passing the "--ose" parameter sets it to "2".

Does this mean that making the ISO only applies when building the PUEL version? Is this a correct observation? I really hope this isn't the case.

Does anyone know how to get Guest Additions for OSE? Using the PUEL version is not an option, since it will be used under a license sensitive environment.
HaraldU
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Re: Building VBoxGuestAdditions.iso in VB OSE

Post by HaraldU »

You don't need to build the GuestAdditions in OSE. When the VM is started, click on install Guest Additions, then VirtualBox will offer to download them for you.
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

Harald, not quite true. This depends on the OSE build that you've chosen. However, most package suppliers maintain package for these. For example Ubuntu has virtualbox-ose and virtualbox-ose-guest-utils packages
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.
AndersKOlsson
Primary OS: Linux other
Guest OSses: SLES 10

Post by AndersKOlsson »

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Regarding the suggestion to use the distribution's GuestAdditions: I'm building my own VB OSE for Windows and Linux, since the version of VB in the repository is too old. So that is sadly not applicable.

Regarding the suggestion to download it through the links offered when clicking "Install Guest Additions": I'm not sure which license covers this version. There is no documentation with the download to indicate that it's GPLed. If I cannot get a straight answer about the license, I feel safer building it myself.