Unable to allocate and lock memory

Discussions related to using the OSE version of VirtualBox.
sillyking
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: windows xp

Unable to allocate and lock memory

Post by sillyking »

This weekend I upgraded to Virtualbox 2.2.0r45846. I have XP Pro SP3 x86 as host OS with 3.4GB recognized memory (4 GB installed). Intel quad core 6600 processor. Asus system board.

I have 1 VM Windows 2003 Server x86 with 512MB allocated RAM and 766MB allocated swapfile. This VM stays active.
I also have 1 Windows XP Pro SP3 x86 VM with 1024MB allocated RAM and 766MB allocated swapfile. This VM is launched as needed while oncall for work.

With prior verison, I could have both VM's running concurrently. After upgrade, I can only run the 2003 Server. If I launch the XP VM alone or concurrently with Windows 2003, I get the error:

"Unable to allocate and lock memory. The virtual machine will be paused. Please close applications to free up memory or close the VM."

Again, these worked fine before upgrade. Also of note, I had to repair the 2.2 version, as Virtualbox failed to see a bridged network adapter after upgrade. Doing a repair then reboot of host XP OS did resolve this issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Unable to allocate and lock memory

Post by Perryg »

For now you can drop XP to 512 or 768 at the most. It has to do with allocating over 50% of your system memory from what I can tell. This should allow you to continue with your two machines.