intrin.h error when compiling on Windows XP

Discussions related to using the OSE version of VirtualBox.
starlabrite

intrin.h error when compiling on Windows XP

Post by starlabrite »

I'm trying to compile VirtualBox OSE 2.1.4. I should add that this is the first time I have ever tried to compile VirtualBox (and it looks like I chose the hard road by doing it on Windows).

My system specs:
-Windows XP SP2
-Visual Studio 2005 SP1 (I also have 2008, but I'm using 2005 as specified in the build instructions)

I've downloaded all of the necessary packages as specified in the build instructions on the VirtualBox site (Windows Server 2003 SDK, Windows DDK, DirectX SDK, etc.). Assuming that I have all of that correct (I won't guarantee that I do, but let's just assume that it's all installed with the proper versions in the proper places), is it still possible to have install errors?

I thought I was doing okay with this build process until I got "error C2733: second C linkage of overloaded function '_interlockedbittestandset'" (this also applies to _interlockedbittestandreset). This pointed me to "intrin.h," lines 944 and 945, found in the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\include" folder. Apparently this is a problem file from VS 2005, and a lot of people with different projects get this error. The standard workaround is to comment out the offending two lines, or to make the first parameter in the function "long volatile *a"). Following this workaround, I get a similar complaint about ntddk.h as found in the WINDDK folder (from the driver development kit install). I basically keep bouncing back and forth between the ntddk.h or the intrin.h file causing the C2733 error.

Has anyone ever had this problem? I'm frustrated enough to start from scratch and try this whole process again. Before I do, though, I'd like to know if I'm just giving up to soon.
atempcode
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: Linux

Re: intrin.h error when compiling on Windows XP

Post by atempcode »

This may be caused by the in-compatible of the MS header file.

I solved this by using the PSDK comes with VS2005 instead of any new bit.