ubuntu server doesn't start

Discussions related to using the OSE version of VirtualBox.
sven.s

ubuntu server doesn't start

Post by sven.s »

Yes, I'm rather new to Linux and an absolute green virtualbox user.

I have installed ubuntu server 8.04 within virtualbox on an ubuntu desktop 8.10 host running on an Acer Extensa 5220 (Intel Centrino Duo Mobile CPU).

The installation worked fine. But when trying to boot the VM in virtualbox I get an error message saying
This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU:
0:6
Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.
When try the same thing with an unbuntu server 8.10. I got this error:
This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU:
pae
Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.
Of course the same computer bootes smoothly into both versions of Ubuntu Server.

What can I do?
aboveamenity

It happened to me too

Post by aboveamenity »

I tried both 8.04.2 and 8.10 as well, but I'm using XP as a host. I get the same messages when I try to start the servers. Installations both went fine as well. Anyone have a solution?
baf
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: linux,xp,win7

Post by baf »

In virtualbox for this machine enable pae under general/advanced.
Some say: "You learn as long as you live".
My way: "You live as long as you learn".
aboveamenity

It's Grayed Out for Me

Post by aboveamenity »

The virtual machine is off, I see what you're talking about in the general/advanced settings, but its grayed out. Is it something to do with Intel VT-x, or is there some other step to enable it?

My PC uses Intel Pentium M 1.6Ghz, Dothan overclocked to 2.1Ghz via pin mod. There is no VT-x on it.

Is this specific to Hardy and subsequently Intrepid, not being able to run in a virtual machine without VT? I'm clueless, because I'm just a beginner.
stephanecharette
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu-64bit, Windows

Re: It's Grayed Out for Me

Post by stephanecharette »

aboveamenity wrote:The virtual machine is off, I see what you're talking about in the general/advanced settings, but its grayed out. Is it something to do with Intel VT-x, or is there some other step to enable it?
I run the PUEL edition of VB, not OSE, so I'm not the expert here, but is it possible this feature is only available in PUEL?

Stéphane
sven.s

Post by sven.s »

baf wrote:In virtualbox for this machine enable pae under general/advanced.
Thank you very much, indeed! You saved my day! It works :D

I know this doesn't reeeeeally belong here. BUT:
If you install the virtualbox version synaptic (under ubuntu desktop 8.10) presents to you (i.e. 2.0.x), host interface networking is rather complicated. I recommend using the latest version from http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads since that topic has become very simple since version 2.1 (under linux).
Last edited by sven.s on 17. Feb 2009, 13:26, edited 2 times in total.
aboveamenity

Post by aboveamenity »

stephanecharette wrote:I run the PUEL edition of VB, not OSE, so I'm not the expert here, but is it possible this feature is only available in PUEL?

Stéphane
Good catch Stephane, although I read the features comparison page, and I didn't see PAE/NX exclusive to PUEL. I think my posts in this thread should be moved to the PUEL edition forum. :oops: :oops: :oops: I think I have PUEL installed because I see the PUEL license in my installation folder.

I think if my PAE/NX is grayed out, it must mean this software feature is N/A with my hardware . :(
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

aboveamenity wrote:
stephanecharette wrote:I run the PUEL edition of VB, not OSE, so I'm not the expert here, but is it possible this feature is only available in PUEL?

Stéphane
Good catch Stephane, although I read the features comparison page, and I didn't see PAE/NX exclusive to PUEL. I think my posts in this thread should be moved to the PUEL edition forum. :oops: :oops: :oops: I think I have PUEL installed because I see the PUEL license in my installation folder.

I think if my PAE/NX is grayed out, it must mean this software feature is N/A with my hardware . :(
There are several ways to check if you have the OSE or PUEL version. Easiest is to check if you have USB options. If you don't, then you run the OSE.
Keep in mind that a disabled PAE doesn't always mean it's not available for your VB version. It's possible that your CPU just doesn't have it. On http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Editions there is no mentioning of PAE being Closed only. Check your CPU options. I believe Pentium M doesn't have PAE. Wikipedia confirms this for some part:
PAE is provided by Intel Pentium Pro and above CPUs (including all later Pentium-series processors except the 400 MHz bus versions of the Pentium M)
So check that ;).
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
aboveamenity

Post by aboveamenity »

Sasquatch wrote: So check that ;).
You are right. I used to have the 533Mhz Pentium M installed, and when I switched to the 400Mhz and subsequently overclocked it up to 533Mhz, I didn't realize PAE/NX was not a feature included with the 400Mhz Pentium M. The only way for me to use PAE/NX is to put back my slower processor, and frankly, I'm not that interested in Ubuntu when I have Debian working just fine on my faster processor. I found out that tidbit you mentioned at Wikipedia. :shock:
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: ubuntu server doesn't start

Post by Sasquatch »

You can still use the Ubuntu server. You just need a different kernel flavour to be installed. Boot from the install ISO, then select repair broken system. You should be able to open a shell with your hard drive as root file system. Then install linux-virtual.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
aboveamenity

Post by aboveamenity »

Sasquatch wrote:Then install linux-virtual.

Uhh... yeah. I'm new. :shock: I don't know how to do that. Is there a tutorial somewhere?

Edit: I'm in the shell right now, and I says I need to specify a destination. I installed with the LVM using the whole virtual disk. I'm very new, so please have mercy and talk more specifically about what you want me to do. :shock:

Edit:
After selecting my keyboard layout and setting up the network stuff again I'm greeted by this:
Then, I see this:
Image\
Then, this:
Then, this:
Then, this:
Then, after I hit enter this:
Then, this:
MxG

Post by MxG »

aboveamenity, try running "apt-get install linux-virtual", once you have verified net connectivity. You may want/need to run "apt-get update" beforehand to get the latest package lists.