[SOLVED] Need some help with network...

Discussions related to using the OSE version of VirtualBox.
K0rkki

[SOLVED] Need some help with network...

Post by K0rkki »

I'm not sure if there is already thread that would give an answer for this but I couldn't find anything helpful. So, I installed VirtualBox OSE 2.0.4. through the Synaptic (I'm using Xubuntu 8.10). I also managed to create virtual CPU and installed Windows XP successfully. Now I would like to make the network to work and I'm not sure what should I do. I did read that I should use that "NAT" (whatever it means ><) but I'm not really sure about that. Anyways, I tried it without success.

In short:
-Host: Xubuntu 8.10
-Guest: Windows XP
-VirtualBox: v.2.0.4.
-Wireless network through the DLink router

Umm... tell me if you need more details. Use simple language since I have used Ubuntu only about 2 months. Thanks for all the replies.
Last edited by K0rkki on 12. Feb 2009, 12:12, edited 1 time in total.
lekanteto

Re: Need some help with network...

Post by lekanteto »

K0rkki wrote:I'm not sure if there is already thread that would give an answer for this but I couldn't find anything helpful. So, I installed VirtualBox OSE 2.0.4. through the Synaptic (I'm using Xubuntu 8.10). I also managed to create virtual CPU and installed Windows XP successfully. Now I would like to make the network to work and I'm not sure what should I do. I did read that I should use that "NAT" (whatever it means ><) but I'm not really sure about that. Anyways, I tried it without success.
The virtual box user manual has en explanation of networking including NAT (chapter 6). That would be a good place to start.
K0rkki

Need some help with network...

Post by K0rkki »

Aye, that settled it. lol, I used "ping" -command to test if the network works and then I found out from user's manual that ping isn't supported. I don't remember is it only NAT that doesn't support ping but anyways, everything works well now...
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: Need some help with network...

Post by Sasquatch »

K0rkki wrote:Aye, that settled it. lol, I used "ping" -command to test if the network works and then I found out from user's manual that ping isn't supported. I don't remember is it only NAT that doesn't support ping but anyways, everything works well now...
With the latest versions (2.1.x+) NAT supports ping replies now. It wasn't translated back to the VM (or even went outside). NAT was the only method that didn't have a working ping cycle.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.