drivers not recognised

Discussions related to using the OSE version of VirtualBox.
Gamer 08

drivers not recognised

Post by Gamer 08 »

Hi,

I'm trying to play settlers 3 through virtual box ose which is installed on kubuntu.

In the device manager i've got two devices that are not recognised:
1)Base system device.
2)Video driver.

I tried running the Dell drivers cd which came with the PC (Dell Dimension 2400) and it wouldn't even recognise the system as a Dell system, so it didn't work, and I proceeded with manual installation.

I tried to install the chipset driver but it came up with this error message:

“The current operating system supports the intel chipset devices on your system. No INF update is needed”

My video driver is currently set to “VGA compatible”.

I tried to install the dell driver (Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller), but it didn't work, it said my system didn't meet the minimum requirements to install the driver. It only requires 128mb system memory. I've given the virtualbox ose system 180mb of system memory but its still not working. I have a feeling that one of the minimum requirements is the chipset driver?

Anyway, I've been down all the possible routes to install the drivers manually, but to no avail. I'm also sure I've got the right drivers, as they came on the CD and I've double checked on the Dell website.

When my machine was purely running Windows XP, there were no problems installing these drivers from the CD. I have a feeling that this is to do with Virtualbox.

I'm relatively new to linux and virtualbox, and I'm 13 years old, so I need pointing in the right direction. Any help would be much appreciated, Many thanks.
baf
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: linux,xp,win7

Post by baf »

Look for install guest additions in the manual.

Your guest (windows) will only see virtual hardware that comes from virtualbox not the ones from your computer.
The guest additions contains video driver and some more.
Some say: "You learn as long as you live".
My way: "You live as long as you learn".