Installing guest additions in Ubuntu 8.10

Discussions related to using the OSE version of VirtualBox.
cboley

Installing guest additions in Ubuntu 8.10

Post by cboley »

I have no doubt this has been a question in the past. I am having difficulty properly getting the 8.10 guest to build the guest additions kernel module. It seems based on the output that I'm missing a few directories. I did ensure that I had the correct dependencies installed. See below output follows
Installing VirtualBox 1.5.6 Guest Additions, built Tue Feb 19 17:21:02 CET 2008

Testing the setup of the guest system

Building a test kernel module...

make KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 -C /lib/modules/2.6.27-9-generic/build SUBDIRS=/tmp/selfgz8665/module/test SRCROOT=/tmp/selfgz8665/module/test modules
test -e include/linux/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || ( \
echo; \
echo " ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid."; \
echo " include/linux/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing."; \
echo " Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it."; \
echo; \
/bin/false)
mkdir -p /tmp/selfgz8665/module/test/.tmp_versions ; rm -f /tmp/selfgz8665/module/test/.tmp_versions/*
make -f scripts/Makefile.build obj=/tmp/selfgz8665/module/test
gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/selfgz8665/module/test/.test.o.d -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.2/include -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -I/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-9-generic/arch/x86/include -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Iubuntu/include -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -O2 -m32 -msoft-float -mregparm=3 -freg-struct-return -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i586 -mtune=generic -ffreestanding -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -Iinclude/asm-x86/mach-default -fno-stack-protector -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-o:
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

You are using 1.5.6 with Ubuntu 8.10.

Try installing and using a more current version such as 2.0.6, both on the Host and GA.
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.
cboley

Guest additions 1.5.6 is the latest isn't it?

Post by cboley »

I did look around at forums and searched for a newer version of guest additions. I certainly do have 2.0.6 installed as my VBOX version and my guest Ubuntu 8.10 does not like when I try to run the command:

sudo sh ./VBoxGuestAdditions (or something like that) it bails out on me saying I'm missing something in the kernel hence the output in the first post. The 1.5.6 is not the virtualbox application version, rather the guest additions version. If there is a newer guest additions out there, a link to it would be most helpful :-)
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

Read the manual, the relevant section on installing GA. You insert the virtual CD into the virtual CDROM by selecting the Install GA option on the Device menu. Mount the CD in Ubuntu and sh the 2.0.6 .run file on the CD.
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.
cboley

Thank you

Post by cboley »

I apologize. I should have read the directions. Things changed in the application between 1.5.6 and 2.0.6. I followed your instructions and everything worked out perfectly. Thanks again. We can close this post.