Problems with QT3/4 UIC when compiling v2.0.4 on openSUSE

Discussions related to using the OSE version of VirtualBox.
svs

Problems with QT3/4 UIC when compiling v2.0.4 on openSUSE

Post by svs »

Hi everyone,

I have had this problem compiling VirtualBox 2.0.4 on several 32bit openSUSE 10.3 systems.

I don't have this problem compiling on 64bit systems, just 32 bit.

At some point, when the compiler wants to run either the qt3 or qt4 uic, it uses /usr/bin/uic which is the one for Qt4.

As a result, the compiler fails and I get it showing me the usage message for /usr/bin/uic.

To have a successful compile, I have to run the compiler once, when that errors I have to back up /usr/bin/uic, replace it with /usr/lib/qt4/bin/uic, compile again, it'll get a little further, then when that errors, replace the original uic again. On the third attempt it is successful.

It looks like it's calling the wrong uic to build the qt4 UI somewhere.

Sorry I don't have the compiler output handy, but I have found the above workaround. I'm due to build on another 32bit box in about a week, so I can post the output then if needed to track down the bug.

This post is in case anyone else has this trouble.

Thanks,

Andrew
bmwiedemann

Post by bmwiedemann »

I encountered a similar problem on OpenSUSE-11.1

however, here is something that might be useful to others. The list of rpm packages you need to install for compilation:
yast2 -i gcc-c++ bin86 dev86 libxslt-devel subversion libidl-devel libxml2-devel libpng-devel SDL-devel qt3-devel libqt4-devel python-devel libpulse-devel libcap-devel

# on 64 bit:
#libstdc++43-devel-32bit libgcc43-32bit gcc43-32bit

some extra packages will be pulled in as dependencies

Ciao
Bernhard M.
I am who I am
svs

Post by svs »

At least in openSUSE 11.1 VBox 2.0.6 is included as a package. That'll save some headaches!!
bmwiedemann

Post by bmwiedemann »

I did have a working package of 2.0.6 for my system, but I was trying to compile the current svn version to test for a bug https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=460042
I am who I am
Bissig

Post by Bissig »

Running opensuse 11 factory (upcoming 11.2)

The build process fails at:

kmk[2]: *** [/usr/src/VirtualBox-2.1.4_OSE/out/linux.x86/release/obj/VirtualBox/gen/ui/vbox_image_collection.o] Error 1

I had some success building a few more files by doing the following:

cp /usr/bin/uic /usr/bin/uic.backup
cp /usr/bin/uic3 /usr/bin/uic
kmk all

Cleaning up:

rm /usr/bin/uic
mv /usr/bin/uic.backup /usr/bin/uic

kmk all

Still it fails at the above mentioned line.

I also noticed after running kmk once after moving uic about, I did get the strange message "/usr/lib/qt4/bin/uic: File generated with too recent version of Qt Designer (4.0 vs. 3.3)"

For some reason virtualbox from the rpm packages supplied by sun and those form the factory repo fail at startup.
bmwiedemann

Post by bmwiedemann »

you could try rebuilding the .src.rpm from
http://download.opensuse.org/repositori ... ctory/src/
with rpmbuild --rebuild

but the precompiled rpms have worked for me just fine so something else might be broken on your system. how do the programs fail for you? segfault? issue an error?
I am who I am
Bissig

Post by Bissig »

Thank you very much! Worked perfectly!

As for the errors I get...

I usually don't get any errors. When I run them with "strace" f.e. Virtualbox hangs at a "futex".

There seem to be other things borked with my setup though, since I stopped to get the "New Application" in the kicker menu when I install new software. Maybe I shouldn't have copied the config files from my old hdd ;-)