Trouble with Laravel Homestead and node.js

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
kim
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win7 64

Trouble with Laravel Homestead and node.js

Post by kim »

If you are familiar with Laravel you will know that Laravel Homestead is a pre-packaged Ubuntu VM for developers. It is managed via Vagrant. Once installed, you can ssh into the machine and quickly create all the boilerplate for your PHP application, and optionally some node packages for front end dev.

I have been using this for years and it works really well, but I recently upgraded to the latest Laravel packages and now I can not compile the node packages. I run "npm install" and it processes some of the packages, and then fails.

The reason I am raising this in a VirtualBox forum is that the problem only occurs if the folder that I am compiling on is shared with the host machine. If I am compiling on a folder that is not shared with the host, i have no problems at all.

Is it possible that it is a VirtualBox problem? How can I diagnose it further? (I could run Homestead with a different VM provider, but would prefer to leave that as a last resort).

The version of VB is 6.1.14, and I have tried it with both a Linux host, and a Mac host.

Here's an SO related to the issue: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/639 ... ad-install
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Trouble with Laravel Homestead and node.js

Post by scottgus1 »

kim wrote:the problem only occurs if the folder that I am compiling on is shared with the host machine.
There are two kinds of shared folders:

1. Guest Additions Shared Folders, made through Virtualbox 'Shared Folders' settings, requires Guest Additions in the guest, no network between guest and host needed, good only for file copying between host and guest.

2. real shared folders, shared by either host OS or guest OS directly, requires a Virtualbox Bridged or Host-Only network between host and guest, no Guest Additions needed, good for anything the host OS or guest OS allows a regular shared folder to handle.

Which kind of shared folder are you using? If it's #1, switch to #2.
kim

Post by kim »

I am using the second type of shared folder, i.e. the true sharing that does not require any Guest Additions.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

OK, that takes this question out of my area of expertise then, soory.

Vagrant and Laravel aren't supported here, as Vagrant uses Virtualbox in ways we don't grok. And since it's a real shared folder, the Virtualbox Guest Additions aren't involved.

You'd probably do best asking Vagrant and/or Laravel.
kim

Post by kim »

Thanks. I am definitely following up with the Laravel crew.