Help a newbie set it up

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
oceankebro9

Help a newbie set it up

Post by oceankebro9 »

I am trying to set up a test environment for my cybersecurity program I am enrolled in. For some reason when I try to start a windows machine I get hung up at 20% I tried a windows 10 and Win 8.1 ova file. It looks like for some reason there are 2 machines trying to start? It stays this way for hours until I shut it down via task manager.

Thanks for the help.
Last edited by mpack on 30. Mar 2022, 18:32, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Remove strange URL.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Help a newbie set it up

Post by scottgus1 »

If the guest Virtualbox window is open, there will be a vbox.log we could inspect.

Start the guest from full power off, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the guest from within the guest OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the guest with the Power Off option set.

Please right-click the guest in the main Virtualbox window's guest list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
zeno82

Re: Help a newbie set it up

Post by zeno82 »

I'd simply get a fresh, genuine copy of Windows 10 from Microsoft. Then start a new virtual machine and boot from the ISO. Simply install Windows 10 on the virtual hard drive, and you're good to go.