VM crashes on reboot if using EFI

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
JustinH

VM crashes on reboot if using EFI

Post by JustinH »

I got a new computer (Win10 x64 v2004/Ryzen 3700X) and installed VB6.1.12.

For my Win10 v1909 VMs, if I configure with EFI BIOS, then VB reports a Guru Meditation error upon reboot of the VM. No crash if I shutdown or startup, only during reboot.

If I don't use EFI, there is no crash. I've used the EFI configuration many times on other computers and never seen this problem.

Any pointers to the root cause or how to debug? Logs attached.
Attachments
reboot_crash.zip
(100.57 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
JustinH

Re: VM crashes on reboot if using EFI

Post by JustinH »

bump
Anyone have an idea?

I learned that when 3D Acceleration is off I get the Guru, with it on I get a memory error:
---------------------------
VirtualBoxVM.exe - Application Error
The instruction at 0x00007FFBD185F2CC referenced memory at 0x0000000000000000. The memory could not be read.
Click on OK to terminate the program
OK
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The first error is a triple fault, so not easy to pinpoint the initial cause.

That last observation (referencing memory at 0x0 when 3D acceleration enabled) smacks of a graphics hardening error. NVidia have been having particular problems recently. In any case, upgrading your graphics drivers might be worth trying.
JustinH

Post by JustinH »

I just installed the latest drivers for my new P400 on my new machine. The logs were with a GT 1030, then I replaced it a week later, but still the same problem.
JustinH

Post by JustinH »

mpack wrote: That last observation (referencing memory at 0x0 when 3D acceleration enabled) smacks of a graphics hardening error. NVidia have been having particular problems recently. In any case, upgrading your graphics drivers might be worth trying.
I'll add, along with using the latest drivers on the crashing system, that I have two other hosts using Quadros with recent (but not latest drivers) and VM's don't crash
shoulders

Post by shoulders »

Just in case anyone lands on this thread, you should read the thread VM crashes upon reboot using EFI as it has a solution and points to a bug report for it.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I gather that "shoulders" is referring to viewtopic.php?f=1&t=103398, which happens to have been started by OP JustinH too..