.webm files cant be deleted

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
xqz1

.webm files cant be deleted

Post by xqz1 »

hello,

so i have these 2 .webm files from when i tried using the inbuilt virtualbox screen recorder thing and they cant really be deleted because they freeze the explorer window
they take up some space and i want to clean up my pc so its faster

plz help
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: .webm files cant be deleted

Post by scottgus1 »

I'm not sure why you'd have trouble, unless the files are being used by some running process on the host OS.

Try rebooting the PC, then try to delete the files before running any other programs.
xqz1

Post by xqz1 »

i have iobitunlocker and apparently unlocking them solved the problem
thank you for the quick solution anyway!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

xqz1 wrote:i have iobitunlocker
That's ironic... their sales pitch is that you never again see a message that you can't delete a file.
ValdikSS

Post by ValdikSS »

I just finally figured out the issue that hit me for several months.

The symptoms:
* Explorer hangs upon clicking (highlighting) certain files, including (and especially) webm video files recorded by VirtualBox
* Sometimes explorer hangs upon right-clicking some files or when hovering over "open with" menu
* Dllhost.exe constantly consuming 7-9% of CPU

Turned out that dllhost process is started by "thumbnail cache class factory", and it fails to create thumbnail for webm video file captured by VirtualBox (other webms don't have this issue).

If you unsure which file causes this issue a and don't know what to delete, download Process Explorer, run it as administrator, find dllhost.exe which consumes CPU, press View - Lower Pane View - Handles, and you'll see which file causes the issue. Delete it (it Explorer hangs and you can't delete it, kill dllhost without killing explorer), and it would work fine afterwards.