Error guestadditions

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Juanfe

Error guestadditions

Post by Juanfe »

I have the following error and I cannot find a solution, it happened time after I tried to share files from linux to windows

Help please, I have thousands of jobs and I can't lose them
Attachments
Ubuntu.zip
(1.86 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Error.png
Error.png (45.47 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Error guestadditions

Post by scottgus1 »

You posted the .vbox-prev file. This is the previous 'recipe' of the guest, not the most recent 'recipe' found in the .vbox file. Hopefully nothing was changed between the last time you ran the guest and the time before.

You have two CD drives in the guest and both have the Guest Additions CD inserted:
<DVDImages>
<Image uuid="{fb61f6d1-c848-4876-a186-952d8c1a31b6}" location="C:/Program Files/Oracle/VirtualBox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso"/>
</DVDImages>
<StorageController name="IDE" type="PIIX4" PortCount="2" useHostIOCache="true" Bootable="true">
<AttachedDevice passthrough="false" type="DVD" hotpluggable="false" port="1" device="0">
<Image uuid="{fb61f6d1-c848-4876-a186-952d8c1a31b6}"/>
</AttachedDevice>
<AttachedDevice passthrough="false" type="DVD" hotpluggable="false" port="0" device="0">
<Image uuid="{fb61f6d1-c848-4876-a186-952d8c1a31b6}"/>
</AttachedDevice>
</StorageController>
Go into your guest's settings and delete one of the CD drives.
Juanfe wrote:Help please, I have thousands of jobs and I can't lose them
If all else fails, restore this highly important, life-ending-if-it's-lost data from one of the several backups you take or the online storage drive you sync to. :wink:
The need for backups is as ubiquitous as the computer, internet, and electricity. The wise one foresees the calamity and prepares for it.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

scottgus1 wrote:Go into your guest's settings and delete one of the CD drives.
Looking at the screenshot, this advice will not work. ;)

Using VBoxManage will not work either. AFAIK, the only way is to edit the .vbox file by hand, simply removing the 2nd or 3rd of the lines (you quoted) with the Image tag.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

fth0 wrote:this advice will not work.
Fascinating. I just put a second CD drive in a guest, then manually edited the .vbox file to have Guest Additions in both CD drives (manual edit because the GUI kept blocking it). I got an 'inaccessible' guest, and I could not edit guest settings to fix the problem.

Juanfe, here is a .vbox file for this guest that removes one CD drive and the inserted CD from the guest. Reboot your host PC so no Virtualbox processes are running, rename the guest's existing Ubuntu.vbox to Ubuntu.vbox-bad, then copy the attached Ubuntu.vbox into the guest's folder. Start Virtualbox and see what you get.
Ubuntu-CD-removed.zip
(1.82 KiB) Downloaded 9 times