USB use vulnerability?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
NickVM
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: MS Win XP SP3

USB use vulnerability?

Post by NickVM »

My VirtualBox use (so far) is old Dos and 16 bit Win apps in WinXP. Never needed Networking. On occasions of some freeware that gave more safety from PUP or Malware beyond the VM. Additionally was careful (same as on the Host) when using any Virtual access devices.
Curiously wondering. If I install the Extension Pack could that possibly give a background ability for Malware access?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: USB use vulnerability?

Post by scottgus1 »

The manual says:
The extension pack provides the following added functionality:
1. The virtual USB 2.0 (EHCI) device. See chapter 3.11.1, USB Settings, page 60.
2. The virtual USB 3.0 (xHCI) device. See chapter 3.11.1, USB Settings, page 60.
3. VirtualBox Remote Desktop Protocol (VRDP) support. See chapter 7.1, Remote Display
(VRDP Support), page 116. (also includes remote USB)
4. Host webcam passthrough. See chapter 9.5, Webcam Passthrough, page 247.
5. Intel PXE boot ROM.
6. Disk image encryption with AES algorithm. See chapter 9.28, Encryption of Disk Images, page 287.
USB1 is already in Virtualbox. The EP primarily enables USB2&3 and RDP connectivity. Determine if any of these is dangerous of your malware concerns.
NickVM
Guest OSses: MS Win XP SP3

Re: USB use vulnerability?

Post by NickVM »

Thanks I will read those also. Since I posted I've watched some videos. The summation was unless one is downloading apps with sophisticated malware, for the most part VirtualBox even with Guest Additions and Host Extensions is still a very safe efficient way to run most software on several OS. It is much more difficult for malware to break out of the VM than a normal host environment.
Notwithstanding that the info I gathered reports the safest way to run risky apps or test such would be the following:
(1) Use a sacrificial computer (if you have more than one).
Otherwise do an Image backup immediately prior.
(2) If you need networking enabled have computer behind 2nd Router on separate subnet.
Otherwise disable networking. (2nd Router good choice regardless)
(3) Have all diagnostic and debug software pre-installed.
(4) Nest the test VM inside a VM
(5) Run the nested VirtualBox with Guest additions ejected.
(did not see anything about the Host Extensions in Videos)
(6) Run a Snapshot first
(7) Revert back after diagnostics are recorded.