Kali Linux on Virtual Box, USB wifi adapter problem (Wifi disconnected??)

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Alexender2

Kali Linux on Virtual Box, USB wifi adapter problem (Wifi disconnected??)

Post by Alexender2 »

hi everyone first of all sorry if this is the not right place to ask this version Kali 2020.1, trying to use Alfa AWUSO36NH usb adapter on my PC, i can run it on monitor mode but it can't detect any wireless networks, it's like I don't even have a wifi adapter. (the plug icon keeps flashing a red dot)

I've been trying to get this to work for about 2 months now, reading online forums. I think I managed to install its drivers as you can see, but I can't choose it as my usb device (??):

I'd appreciate any help! Thanks.
Last edited by scottgus1 on 23. Aug 2020, 14:33, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: took out 3rd-party spam link possibly added by others
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Kali Linux on Virtual Box, USB wifi adapter problem (Wifi disconnected??)

Post by scottgus1 »

The only thing we could help with is setting up a USB filter to get the USB wi-fi adapter into the guest environment. After that, any device drivers or recognition must be handled by the guest OS and user, which are both beyond the scope of the forum.

If Kali does not see the USB device when you plug it into the host, carefully go through USB basics and troubleshooting. If you finish all the steps 1-7 and cannot get your USB device into the guest OS, carefully post the outputs of the commands in step 8 as text in

Code: Select all

tags, not screenshots. Zip and post the log step 8 calls for, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

If the Kali guest OS recognizes a new USB device when you plug it into the host, then Virtualbox is working. Any Kali drivers or configuration is something you would have to do through Kali's and the wi-fi adapter's help channels.
Alexender2

Re: Kali Linux on Virtual Box, USB wifi adapter problem (Wifi disconnected??)

Post by Alexender2 »

thanks for your response!