USB pen drive not using drivers

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
mrab

USB pen drive not using drivers

Post by mrab »

I currently have 2 virtual drives created on a windows 10 host.
I need to run an application that requires usb from a windows version 7 or higher so xp is not good even though works great.
The reason I need to run a virtual drive 7 or higher is that my host windows 10 has problems running certain apps I get ntdll.dll errors
I have had a full rebuild completed but its still a problem.

XP
and
Windows 7

If I enter a usb flash drive into my laptop i can use it on my host so know it works.

If I run a windows xp virtual drive and choose

devices
usb
then select the driver under the usb settings

The driver then installs ok in windows xp and the usb drive becomes viewable.

If I try the same on windows 7,8,8.1 and 10 when I select the same driver if fails to install correctly.
Under device manager you can see an explanation mark.

Windows XP was created last september on an older version of virtual box and an older extension version.
I have been trying for the last week to get this working with lots of different windows iso's
I have even tried windows 7 created as a windows 10 virtual drive and upgraded windows 7 to windows 10 but still the usb comes back with an explantion mark.
I don't know what is different with my windows xp virtual drive but it works great.
I have deleted all other versions I have tried so just now have xp and windows 7 64 bit.
Do you think I need to run an older version of virtual box?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: USB pen drive not using drivers

Post by scottgus1 »

Carefully go through USB basics and troubleshooting. If you finish all the steps 1-7 and cannot get your USB device into the guest OS, carefully post the outputs of the commands in step 8 as text in

Code: Select all

tags, not screenshots. Zip and post the log step 8 calls for, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.