[Solved] Struggling beginner with VirtualBox and networking

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
CryingNewby

[Solved] Struggling beginner with VirtualBox and networking

Post by CryingNewby »

Hello Im starting with a little sorry for my bad english Im not a native
You can skip this:
Story short about me: I'm a web design student who have a final year project about networking/virtualisation , I have to set up a dell poweredge server (done) and install a system (host) on it I choosed CentOs, and now I have to run some vms using VirtualBox, ( I choosed virtualBox by heart ) and what make it even harder is that I have never used Linux ( great combo of madness )
Problem

Im having accees to a public Ip adress set by my teacher to be able to connect to the server, I have root privilege.
I hate this terminal thing but can't be lying it's kinda cool (Im a GUI fanatic since born) .
Now I have imported the vm (open edx by bitnami) and changed the Nic adapter interface ( I was following a tutorial) and when I run the vm now it's not working saying

Code: Select all

Error: failed to start machine. Error message: Nonexistent host networking interface, name 'msk1' (VERR_INTERNAL_ERROR)
It was working before I changed it to this msk1 , ( So why you did ? ) because I thoughet it wasn't working when I started the vm I don't know how can I log to the vm terminal
How can I set back the default one that was in the default vm config please?
By the way, I wish there was a tutorial for total newbies like me
And sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask Im kinda confused and stressed
Last edited by CryingNewby on 3. May 2020, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Struggling beginner with VirtualBox and networking

Post by scottgus1 »

CryingNewby wrote:It was working before I changed it to this msk1
How did you change to 'msk1'?

Based on googling the error:

"Nonexistent host networking interface" site:forums.virtualbox.org

it appears you were using Virtualbox's Bridged to connect to the server's physical network adapter and chose the wrong name.

Since you are using the command line interface, read the 'vboxmanage' section 8 of the Virtualbox manual. All of the things you can do to a virtual machine in the GUI and more can be done with 'vboxmanage'.

Use 'vboxmanage list bridgedifs' on the Centos host to see what host network adapters can be used for Bridged.

Shut down the guest. Use this command:

vboxmanage modifyvm "vmname" --bridgeadapter# "host-network-adapter-name"

Replace vmname with the guest's name, and host-network-adapter-name with the server's network adapter name. The surrounding double quotes are for names that contain spaces. Replace # with the number of the guest network adapter that you set to 'msk1'.

From the manual:
--bridgeadapter<1-N> none|<devicename>: Only has an effect if bridged networking
has been enabled for a virtual network card. See the --nic option. Use this option to
specify which host interface the given virtual network interface will use.
Also see Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures
CryingNewby

Re: Struggling beginner with VirtualBox and networking

Post by CryingNewby »

Hello Thanks for your amazing answer yes I fugered it out by reading the article by VirtualBox
And I fixed it