Failed installation after following all steps

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Senkora

Failed installation after following all steps

Post by Senkora »

https://phoenixnap.com/kb/how-to-instal ... virtualbox
I followed the guide step by step but it did't work
I dont know why it doesnt work
Attachments
Aantekening 2020-04-24 115724.png
Aantekening 2020-04-24 115724.png (62.14 KiB) Viewed 5740 times
Senkora

Re: Failed installation after following all steps

Post by Senkora »

14. Install the GRUB boot loader on a hard disk. Select Yes and Continue. Then, select a boot loader device to ensure the newly installed system is bootable.

But it doesnt i get this message: the failing step is install GRUB bootloader on harddisk
Senkora

Post by Senkora »

its for installing linux kali
and this is what i do select
Attachments
p.png
p.png (80.62 KiB) Viewed 5739 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Your screenshots show a running Virtualbox window and an issue inside the guest OS. Normally that would indicate that Virtualbox is working and your guest OS has a problem you would solve independently of Virtualbox.

However, there have been some reports of the data on a good ISO failing to be read correctly for a guest install.

First, please run a hash check on the ISO file you downloaded and confirm that the hash matches the Linux website's hash.

I assume that you are on Virtualbox 6.1.6? Can you please uninstall Virtualbox, and the Extension Pack if you have it, and install 6.1.2? See if you can install correctly. If so, please then upgrade to 6.1.4 and try a new install in a new guest.
Senkora

Post by Senkora »

I have no idea what a hash is our what it is that you want me to do with it
I just dowloaded both latest versions and reinstalled VB did't work same result
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Googling will help you figure out how to compare hashes.
Senkora wrote:I just dowloaded both latest versions and reinstalled VB did't work same result
We would need evidence for this, exactly what you did, and if the Virtualbox guest was actually running, then shut down the guest from within the guest OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the guest with the Power Off option set. Please zip and post a guest vbox.log, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
Senkora

Post by Senkora »

Not sure what evidence u want but this is what i did
Click drag VM box to bin empty bin
search for the programm and uninstall
go to the vm box page
dowload newest version
follow same steps as in the tutorial before

What is a t. Please zip and post a guest vbox.log, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
I could not find this onto google
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

scottgus1 wrote:Please zip and post a guest vbox.log, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
This means to right-click the guest in the main Virtualbox window's guest list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. However, based on further information I don't think you need to post the log now. Read on...
Senkora wrote:What is a t.
T is the 20th letter in the English alphabet.

I successfully installed Kali as instructed in the Phoenixnap tutorial. I did not come across the screenshot in your second post viewtopic.php?f=1&t=97863#p474588. Either that screen came up then automatically disappeared or did not show up. I suspect you are deviating from the tutorial somehow.

The tutorial suggests that Kali in a Virtualbox guest is good for pentesting. However there are no wi-fi cards in a Virtualbox guest. If you want wi-fi in the guest you have to provide a USB wi-fi adapter and use USB basics and troubleshooting to put the adapter into the guest for Kali to use. Check ahead of time if Kali has or can get drivers for the USB adapter you might buy.
Senkora

Post by Senkora »

I tried with USB but, that did't help either :(