Discuss the 6.1.6 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
arudnev
Oracle Corporation

Discuss the 6.1.6 release

Post by arudnev »

Discuss the VirtualBox 6.1.6 release here.
You can download the release here.
VirtualBox 6.1.6 is a maintenance release.

Changelog is here.
Dave B

Re: Discuss the 6.1.6 release

Post by Dave B »

Hi arudnve,

Thank you for the new release. Please see this thread pertaining to 6.1.6 Linux guests resolution issue. Thanks.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=97686
Etepetete
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Slackware 14.2

Post by Etepetete »

After installing VirtualBox-6.1.6-137129-Win.exe, VirtualBox displays under Help/about Version 6.1.4 r136177 (Qt5.6.2)

while installing the guest additions, version 6.1.4 was also displayed. Installed guest additions VBoxGuestAdditions_6.1.6.iso which I downloaded separately.

My question, is the installer really version 6.1.6?

Best Regards
paradoiley

Post by paradoiley »

I have a Windows 10 host running a Ubuntu 18.04 guest with LXDE as the desktop.

I updated to 6.1.6 this morning. Things came up. I installed the guest additions, rebooted, and was greeted with a blank screen. ACPI shutdown was able to shut the machine down with no problem.

I downloaded the Xubuntu 20.04 beta. It installed with no problems. I installed the guest additions and rebooted into full screen. Blank screen again.

I switched to scaled mode and got my screen. I maximized, switched back to full screen and everything was fine.

I retried my original Ubuntu 18.04 with LXDE and found the same thing.

At this point, if I shut down in full screen mode and boot up it comes up with the small window in the middle of the screen and detects 800x600. Switching to scaled and maximizing the window then back to foll screen gets me to where I should be, so my machine is usable.

3D acceleration still does not work. Chrome hangs. I kill it. I get an invalid memory reference and the machine is aborted. No issues when 3D acceleration is off.
ingo2
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: OS/2, WinXP-10, Linux

Post by ingo2 »

Host: Debian 10 , Intel HD4000 Graphics @ 1920x1080
Guest Debian 8 (Jessie) with XFCE-Desktop @ 1440x900

After updating GuestAdditions to 6.1.6 and reboot ends up with fixed 600x800 resolution, unable to change.
Notifications popping up saying "Vbox Client could not find symbol address".
Reinstalling linux-headers-amd64 and GuestAdditions 6.1.6 does not change anything.
Downgrading to 6.1.4 GuestAdditions resolves the issue.
facboy

Post by facboy »

Etepetete wrote:After installing VirtualBox-6.1.6-137129-Win.exe, VirtualBox displays under Help/about Version 6.1.4 r136177 (Qt5.6.2)

while installing the guest additions, version 6.1.4 was also displayed. Installed guest additions VBoxGuestAdditions_6.1.6.iso which I downloaded separately.

My question, is the installer really version 6.1.6?

Best Regards
i think you didn't install it properly, mine shows 6.1.6.
Etepetete
Guest OSses: Slackware 14.2

Post by Etepetete »

facboy wrote: i think you didn't install it properly, mine shows 6.1.6.
Yep, you nailed it faceboy. I must not have had enough coffee on that morning, when I installed VBox.

Please excuse the erroneous message.
amitbagaria

Post by amitbagaria »

paradoiley wrote:I have a Windows 10 host running a Ubuntu 18.04 guest with LXDE as the desktop.

I updated to 6.1.6 this morning. Things came up. I installed the guest additions, rebooted, and was greeted with a blank screen. ACPI shutdown was able to shut the machine down with no problem.

I downloaded the Xubuntu 20.04 beta. It installed with no problems. I installed the guest additions and rebooted into full screen. Blank screen again.

I switched to scaled mode and got my screen. I maximized, switched back to full screen and everything was fine.

I retried my original Ubuntu 18.04 with LXDE and found the same thing.

At this point, if I shut down in full screen mode and boot up it comes up with the small window in the middle of the screen and detects 800x600. Switching to scaled and maximizing the window then back to foll screen gets me to where I should be, so my machine is usable.

3D acceleration still does not work. Chrome hangs. I kill it. I get an invalid memory reference and the machine is aborted. No issues when 3D acceleration is off.
I exactly have the same symptoms. I wish someone can provide some solution to this.
Also, on Ubuntu 20.04, the screen refresh is very choppy, seems like 3D acceralation is not working, as @paradoiley highlighted above.
dry
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux

Post by dry »

Upgraded from 6.1.4 to 6.1.6, my guest is Linux , my host is Win10 (both x86_64)

So far it's better than previous one. Clipboard started to work again, both ways.

The multi-monitor still a bit wonky for me - same issue that only one comes up after boot, I have to enable second one after system booted. (Which wasn't the case on 6.0.xx and earlier Vbox'es).

Mouse: some dodgy behavior still (from 6.1.4) here: after some movement in/out the guest, and/or using clipboard or related, the mouse stops working entirely inside the guest,
while keyboard still seems working fine. But, after some odd manipulations which I can't quite sequence, it can come back.
facboy

Post by facboy »

No-one else has really commented on this, apologies if this is the wrong thread.

I saw the dedication on the release notes, my condolences to family and friends if that means what I assume it means. Speaking as a long time lurker, I thought he was a great resource for this community and he will be missed.
dry

Post by dry »

facboy wrote: I saw the dedication on the release notes .
Ouuch :((

Indeed.
dry

Post by dry »

In this version , using "Use Host I/O Cache" may cause the guest system fs to start failing in mysterious ways.

I observe that invoking some of the commands/executables off the disc connected on the controller with the I/O Cache enabled, can fail strangely : cannot load some dynamic libraries correctly, resulting in weird traces which barely seems to show up in any Google search results. My fear was corrupt FS.

However, I now saw that removing this option _appears_ to have removed the problem. A plain reboot of the guest doesn't fix it.

But also re-enabling I/O Cache back does not immediately cause the issue to appear back - I think you need to have the quest running for sometime to cause the error.

So, Not a safe option .
4x

Post by 4x »

Is this release back compatible with 5.2.x? I mean if I have virtual machines setup in 5.2 can add them to 6.1.6 and use? Would they work?
sanjaygeeky

Post by sanjaygeeky »

Hello
My config first
OVBox 6.1.6
Laptop Dell Vostro
OS Windows 10 Pro
Settings in " Turn on off Windows features"
HyperV Turned checked
Virtual Machine Platform Checked

I have downloaded iso of ubuntu18.04 via direct download as well as via torrent but nothing seems to work on Windows host.

I get an Error5 but post looking at many pages suggesting that the disc may contain errors is not solving the problems

Please let me know if there is solution for this.Please let me know if I am missing anything

Thanks
Sanjay
Attachments
VirtualMachinePlatform.PNG
VirtualMachinePlatform.PNG (15.18 KiB) Viewed 4056 times
HyperV.PNG
HyperV.PNG (15.49 KiB) Viewed 4056 times
OVBox.PNG
OVBox.PNG (19.56 KiB) Viewed 4056 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

@4x: virtual machines can easily be brought up to later versions, and can often be brought back to earlier versions too, depending on the settings. It is always wise to have good restorable backups.

@all: Virtualbox coexisting with Hyper-V is a work in progress (might be less work and more progress if Microsoft would stop changing things, but that may be too much to ask :roll: ). If it does not work now on your computer, then a patient wait for the next release of Virtualbox is prescribed. One forum guru BillG reports running of Virtualbox with Hyper-V on Windows 10, viewtopic.php?f=6&t=90853 but it is reported to be persnickety and tends to hang. So work in progress still.