can't copy and paste from host PC to virtual PC

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Richard82

can't copy and paste from host PC to virtual PC

Post by Richard82 »

Ok so I downloaded Virtualbox 6.1 and I made a Win 8.1 virtual machine, I changed it to the bidirectional options under settings for both shared clipboard and drag n drop, yet when trying to copy and paste something from MY machine onto the virtual machine it doesn't paste anything.... ctrl C and ctrl V doesn't work, neither does right clicking and clicking copy and paste. When trying to paste on the virtual machine it doesn't copy over anything. Can someone help?
towo2099
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Android, Linux

Re: can't copy and paste from host PC to virtual PC

Post by towo2099 »

And you have installed the guestadditions in your vm?
Richard82

Post by Richard82 »

towo2099 wrote:And you have installed the guestadditions in your vm?
Sorry not sure what that is? how do i do that? is this something i do under settings?
Richard82

Post by Richard82 »

I'm able to go between host PC to Guest PC with my mouse without pressing right control C , so not sure if that's right?
towo2099
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Android, Linux

Post by towo2099 »

Richard82

Post by Richard82 »

Yes but I'm using 6.1 and the device menu doesn't appear like it says...

I'll give $50 to anyone that can help solve this problem, needing this pretty urgently, not a joke
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Richard82 wrote:Yes but I'm using 6.1 and the device menu doesn't appear like it says...
Oh yes it does! Just click the tab and you get a drop-down menu.
DevMen.PNG
That has not changed in version 6.1 ( or Windows 8.1). I am running Windows 8.1 as a vm under VirtualBox 6.1 on a Windows 10 PC. The Device menu works exactly as it did before. Click on the Devices tab and scroll down to Insert Guest Additions CD image. Once you install the Guest Additions CD image you will get a pop-up message in Windows 8.1 asking what you want to do with the CD. Select the option to run VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe .

After you have installed the GAs, go to the Devices tab again, scroll down to Optical Drives and select Remove disk from virtual drive to release the GA CD from the virtual drive.
Bill
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Note that if you do not see any menu bar as shown in Bill's screenshot, you may have put the guest into Scaled mode, which turns off the menu bar. Take the guest out of Scaled mode by holding down the Host key, by default Right-Ctrl, and then hit C. The menu bar should return.

If you do see a menu bar but don't see the Devices menu, go to the main Virtualbox window, select the guest, click any of the guest's settings headers to get the Settings window to appear, then click 'User Interface'. If the Devices area is not highlighted, select it so it is highlighted, then click the OK button. The Devices menu should appear.
mrab

Post by mrab »

From Machine,settings, advanced make sure bidirectional is on for shared clip board and drag and drop.

From Machine,Setting, storage make sure the disc is set to empty.
If it isn't empty click on the disc and then then disc to the right and remove the iso file attached.

Check the disc is now empty,

Now from the device menu choose
insert guest additions cd menu

Wait until its ask to load in the drivers, this can take a minute
Load in the drivers an copy and paste should now work.