Should I continue running 6.0 or move to 6.1?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
brec
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win10

Should I continue running 6.0 or move to 6.1?

Post by brec »

I expect that the answer is "It depends," but I hope that a short description of my use case might elicit knowledgeable advice.

I am a grateful user of VirtualBox, not a developer -- although I was a system software developer in a previous life so I'm sympathetic. I run a Mac host and WIndows guest in order to run some Windows-only applications on a regular, often daily, basis.

I'm conservative; I've been running 6.0 (I'm also often usually a version or two behind on Mac OS and phone OS). I'm currently running 6.0.14, because there's no Mac installer for 6.0.16. That aside, I'm wondering if it's time for me to move to 6.1.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Should I continue running 6.0 or move to 6.1?

Post by scottgus1 »

I operate on the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" paradigm.

Got a PC running XP in my shed for the CNC router and house backups. I don't browse the web on it, so it's happy.

My house media and file/print server is Windows 7. I don't browse the web on it either, so it's happy.

My 7 server's Virtualbox is 5.2.24, my Windows 10 work host is 6.0.14, and my laptop is the one I keep up-to-date (6.1.2-post-Extension-Pack-debacle, as of now), just to see what new stuff is there.

I don't update unless I'm forced, or I see a new feature I want to use.