Reproducing wizard created VM

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Nicholas Yue

Reproducing wizard created VM

Post by Nicholas Yue »

Hi,

I have mostly been using VirtualBox via the guided wizard.

Lately, I am doing more automation stuff and was looking into VBoxManage tools to create VMs

However, I can't seems to be able to fine tune the creation process via VBoxManage to match the VMs created by the wizard

I am wondering if either of the following is possible/available
(1) Runs some command that prints out the VBoxManage (or equivalent) that the wizard uses to create a given VM
or
(2) Look at the scripts that was run possibly in the VBox source code

Cheers
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Reproducing wizard created VM

Post by scottgus1 »

Nicholas Yue wrote:(1) Runs some command that prints out the VBoxManage (or equivalent) that the wizard uses
Haven't heard or read of such a thing myself.
Nicholas Yue wrote:(2) Look at the scripts that was run possibly in the VBox source code
The source code is downloadable. See https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Source_ ... ganization for how the code is organized, and a link to the source code at the top.

You will probably be using 'vboxmanage createvm' and 'vboxmanage modifyvm' a lot. Each setting possible in the main Virtualbox window's guest Settings has (or should have) a vboxmanage equivalent. Just look up the setting in the manual (try the PDF in "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\doc\UserManual.pdf", it's searchable) and add another vboxmanage command to your script.