Issue with BadStore VM

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Wiggz

Issue with BadStore VM

Post by Wiggz »

Hi, everyone! :D

I'm pretty new to this field, but I'm learning. I've been playing with BadStore, and when I tried to check if nmap would detect the OS BadStore was running, at, I didn't get any result, only this:
Running (JUST GUESSING): Oracle Virtualbox (97%), QEMU (94%)

I wanted to be able to detect the OS, so that I could use that information to discover more.

I'm not sure if BadStore is installed right, but this is what I was trying to do.

When setting up the VM, select Linux and Debian 6 as the guest OS.

I'm not completely sure what "guest OS" mean.. Would this mean that I should put BadStore on Linux, and create another OS as a Debian 6?

Can anyone provide a short step-by-step guide if possible?

Thanks! :)
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Issue with BadStore VM

Post by scottgus1 »

Wiggz wrote:I'm not completely sure what "guest OS" mean
The physical PC you install Virtualbox on is the 'host'. The different virtual 'hardware' environments that Virtualbox provides for you to install other operating systems are the 'guests'. The 'guest OS' is the operating system installed in a 'guest'.

You should read Section 1 in the Virtualbox manual. It contains a walkthrough on installing a guest OS. Try to keep in mind that Virtualbox is essentially a 'hardware' provider. If you have a problem with the virtual computer your operating system is running in, then we can probably help. Once Virtualbox is running, and a guest window is open, and the guest OS is doing something guest-OS-ish, then you'd need to get support from the guest OS or program provider. Figuring out whether the problem is in Virtualbox or someone else's software can be fuzzy. Please ask, we'll let you know where to look for help.
Wiggz wrote:When setting up the VM, select Linux and Debian 6 as the guest OS.
This is referring to the wizard that helps set up a Virtualbox guest when you click the New button in the main Virtualbox window. There's main families of operating systems, like Windows and Linux, and different versions of these families, like Windows XP, 7, 10, etc, or Linux Debian, Ubuntu, etc. Type 'Debian', and the wizard may auto-pick what you need to choose, or you can choose manually.

Virtualbox also provides networking between the guests, the host, the network the host is connected to, and the internet. See the manual, section 6, and the table of connections each type of networking Virtualbox provides.

We don't know how to tutor on BadStore. You'd do best looking into their support channels.