VirtualBox sur/with SurfacePro3

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
MY

VirtualBox sur/with SurfacePro3

Post by MY »

Bonjour,

Pour l'école j'aimerai utiliser VirtualBox sur ma SurfacePRO3. Mais j'y arrive pas.
Le bios est bloqué. Je n'arrive pas a activé ( Technologie de virtualisation Intel (Intel VT-x) et Intel VT-x avec Extended Page Tables.

Avez vous des solutions pour moi ?

Hello,

For school I would like to use VirtualBox on my SurfacePRO3. But I can't do it.
The bios is blocked. I can't activate (Intel Virtualization Technology (Intel VT-x) and Intel VT-x with Extended Page Tables.

Do you have solutions for me?

Surface PRO 3
Intel(R) Core(TM) I7-4650U CPU @ 1.70GHz 2.30 GHz
RAM 8,00 Go
WIN10 PRO 64bit
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox sur/with SurfacePro3

Post by scottgus1 »

We wont know how to unblock your device's BIOS, unfortunately. That would be a good Googling question.

If you cannot turn on VT-x, you will be limited to Virtualbox 6.0, 5.2 or maybe 5.1, and Windows 7 & earlier 1-core 32-bit guests. Some kinds of Linux may be possible, too. Virtualbox 6.1 for certain requires VT-x for all guests, and so do later Windows.

Also, if the Surface Pro 3 only allows Windows Store apps, then Virtualbox doesn't come through app stores.
Last edited by scottgus1 on 16. Dec 2019, 19:56, edited 2 times in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox sur/with SurfacePro3

Post by scottgus1 »

@MY: Did you try googling your questions? I don't have a Surface Pro 3, but searching "Surface Pro 3 enter bios" and "Surface Pro 3 vt-x" got me to what looked like perfectly good suggestions. One link suggested that VT-x is already on and how to find out.

Hyper-V may be taking your VT-x, though. Have you tried a Virtualbox guest? If so, zip and post the guest's vbox.log, or copy & paste the Virtualbox error message if you get one,and we'll see what the elves inside the PC have to say. :lol: