Wireless USB adapter not found - Debian

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Hahanakin

Wireless USB adapter not found - Debian

Post by Hahanakin »

Hi,

I would like use monitor mode on parrot OS with a Wireless USB adapter but my USB adapter tp-link tl-wn722n is recognized as ''Realtek 802.11n NIC''.

I installed VirtualBox 6.0.14 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack and followed the instructions: USB basics and troubleshooting but cannot find a solution.

When i select ''Realtek 802.11n NIC'' as USB device in Parrot OS, then open command and search for interface to work with it appears as wlan0 chipset: tp-link tl-wn722n . But, once I choose ''tp-link tl-wn722n'' and select ''Put interface in monitor mode'' it says :
The interface changed its name while setting in monitor mode. Autoselected
Monitor mode now is set on channels

I press Enter -> Interface channels selected. Mode: (Non wifi card)

Please, I am a novice so let me know which information you need if you want to help me.
virtual box settings
virtual box settings
Capture.PNG (119.37 KiB) Viewed 3569 times
network
network
11.PNG (27.66 KiB) Viewed 3569 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Wireless USB adapter not found - Debian

Post by scottgus1 »

It appears from your pictures that you are Bridging to a "tp-link" wi-fi adapter and and USB-filtering to a "Realtek" NIC. Just want to clarify: Are these both the same USB device?

If they are the same USB device, and you want the device to appear in the guest as a wi-fi adapter, then you will have to forget about Bridging to the USB device. USB cannot be shared. USB will be either in the guest or on the host, not both.

All network adapters in Virtualbox guests are virtual "wired-Ethernet" adapters. You won't see your host's wi-fi adapter in your guest OS by Bridging to it. Virtualbox takes the traffic from the host NIC and passes it to the virtual guest NIC, so your guest traffic will appear to be coming from a wired-ethernet adapter and no Wi-fi capabilities will appear. So disconnect the Bridged, stick with the USB filter.

You tried USB basics and troubleshooting, good. Looks like you haven't tried step 8 yet. We'll need this info, in a zipped text file or in

Code: Select all

tags, not as pictures, to help you further.