Dumb question about updating Win 10 and saving changes

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
GUIguy
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win 10-x86

Dumb question about updating Win 10 and saving changes

Post by GUIguy »

I feel real dumb asking this, but here goes...

I have a "base installation" for Win 10 that I use to test applications prior to installation on my main machine. I save those applications as snapshots, then restore the "base installation" to have a clean install of Windows to test the next one.

However, as we all know, Windows 10 is always updated. I'm trying to do the updates to my "base installation" and SAVE them as a new "base" so each application I test is being installed on the latest version of Win 10.

My problem is that I can't seem to save those changes. Is it the way I am shutting down? Do I need to save a snapshot? I'm befuddled!

I apologize in advance for such a noobie question...
Once you've seen one Parkinson's patient, you've seen one Parkinson's patient.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: DUmb question about updating Win 10 and saving changes

Post by scottgus1 »

Once you start using snapshots, you lose the ability to make changes to the base disk(s).

I would go to not using snapshots, and make backup copies of the guest disk that you could restore and/or update as needed, then copy and bung up as your heart desires. Use Mpack's CloneVDI to make clones of a prepared base disk, with the 'keep UUID' option checked (possibly the 'compact' option too), and swap the disk file names as needed, while the guest is fully shut down, to get the guest to boot to the clones or base disk as desired.
GUIguy
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win 10-x86

Post by GUIguy »

Thanks, scottgus1...

I think what you said is probably very accurate, however, and, unfortunately, no where complete or detailed enough for me. I just need more info to accomplish what you're saying, especially since I already have some 8 snapshot scenarios. Obviously, what's most important to me is to have that "base" installation that is always being updated and yet be able to have multiple scenarios for testing

You are so generous with your time and knowledge that I can't ask you for more specifics or how-to's, but can you point me to a link(s) or article(s) that goes into more detail on this?

BTW, am I dating myself when I remember that at one time there was a "merge changes" option?

BTW2: I just did a restart to my "base" installation and am back to build 1903 and guest additions 6.0.12 in spite of my upgrading both to later versions. So my challenge is to update both the Win10 build number (and misc. other things like dot net, defender definitions, etc.) and the guest additions and save them so that I can use them with other apps that I test.
Once you've seen one Parkinson's patient, you've seen one Parkinson's patient.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Dumb question about updating Win 10 and saving changes

Post by socratis »

GUIguy wrote:I save those applications as snapshots, then restore the "base installation" to have a clean install of Windows to test the next one.
I'm afraid that if you're installing apps, and you keep on piling snapshots, you don't have a clean install anymore, your initial condition of a clean Guest is lost.

I do use the snapshot technique to have a clean VM (not just Windows), I do it for almost all my VMs. I'll use a Windows example below (real one), but it applies equally to e.g. Mint19 or FreeDOS.

I install the Guest OS and take a snapshot. I name my snapshots something similar to "5.1.26-2017.08.05"[1] (VirtualBoxVersion-ISODate), so I know the VirtualBox version and the date just by looking at the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. So, my "Snapshots" pane looks like:
Name                                   TakenImage 5.1.26-2017.08.05                 8/5/17 7:11 PM
    Image Current State
When I want to update to (let's say) from 1607 to 1909, and make it a permanent change, I update my Guest, which then looks like:
Name                                   TakenImage 5.1.26-2017.08.05                 8/5/17 7:11 PM
    Image Current State (changed)
Now, you have two options...
  1. Take a new snapshot with the updates included:
        ▼ Image 6.0.14-2019.12.02             12/2/19 9:23 AM
            Image Current State
    then delete/merge the old "5.1.26-2017.08.05" snapshot:
    Name                                   TakenImage 6.0.14-2019.12.02             12/2/19 9:23 AM
        Image Current State
  2. First delete/merge the current/existing "5.1.26-2017.08.05" snapshot, so that the Guest looks like:
    Name                                   Taken
    Image Current State
    then take a new snapshot:
    Name                                   TakenImage 6.0.14-2019.12.02             12/2/19 9:23 AM
        Image Current State
  • Option #1 has the advantage that you can revert back before doing the merge.
  • Option #2 has the advantage of compacting the VDI at the same time that the merge takes place, which saves you potentially a couple (or more) of GB. You could manually compact the VDI, but it's more work.

[1]: Yes, my Win10-64 is still at that version/date. Rock solid... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

GUIguy wrote:especially since I already have some 8 snapshot scenarios. Obviously, what's most important to me is to have that "base" installation that is always being updated and yet be able to have multiple scenarios for testing
If what you have in mind is something similar to:
▼ BaseImage
  ▼ Snapshot 1
    ▼ Snapshot 2
      ▼ Snapshot 3
        ▼ Snapshot 4
          ▼ Snapshot 5
            ▼ Snapshot 6
              ▼ Snapshot 7
                  Current State
where you update the BaseImage, and you expect all the Snapshots#N to be updated, you can forget about it. The Snapshots are disk-sector-based, not file-based. Plus if you update the BaseImage, you're going to have a new, different current state.
▼ BaseImage
  ▼ Snapshot 1
    ▼ Snapshot 2
      ▼ Snapshot 3
        ▼ Snapshot 4
          ▼ Snapshot 5
            ▼ Snapshot 6
                Snapshot 7
    Current State (changed)
which will be a child of the BaseImage. The rest of the snapshots will remain independent. That's the whole point actually! ;)
GUIguy wrote:BTW, am I dating myself when I remember that at one time there was a "merge changes" option?
Still there, intact. Just look at the toolbar...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
fth0
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Dumb question about updating Win 10 and saving changes

Post by fth0 »

socratis wrote:Option #2 has the advantage of compacting the VDI at the same time that the merge takes place
Can you explain that?

Both options start with the same situation: A base image and a 1st differencing image, the latter containing new and changed sectors. Option #1 creates an additional empty 2nd differencing image before the merge and makes the 1st differencing image read-only. Both options merge the base image and the 1st differencing image. Why is the VDI compacted in Option #2 but not in Option #1?