MS-DOS: Mouse/Touchscreen pointer do not match touch location

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Sussex Scotty

MS-DOS: Mouse/Touchscreen pointer do not match touch location

Post by Sussex Scotty »

My host is Windows 10. VirtualBox version 6.0.14r133895 (Qt5.6.2). Guest system is MS-DOS 6.22. Host PC has a USB mouse and Dialogue Inc. PenMount 6000 USB touchscreen. We have an application written for DOS that handled touchscreens in the past.

When the application is started, and the touch screen is touched, the mouse cursor follows your touch very well. Remove your finger and touch a different location and now the mouse cursor is off. There seems to be no way to get the location touched and the mouse cursor synchronized from this point forward. The offset between the location and the cursor varies. I have seen the cursor not come off the edge of the screen until the touch location is quite far away. The offset seems random.

I have tried configuring the VirtualBox, System->pointing device to PS/2 and USB tablet. Neither setting resolves the issue.

Typically the DOS application is used just to click on buttons drawn on the screen.

What can I do to keep the touch location and the cursor location always synchronized?