[Solved] Nothing shows when Virtualbox is launched Windows 10

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
DieHardBattery

[Solved] Nothing shows when Virtualbox is launched Windows 10

Post by DieHardBattery »

I recently installed VirtualBox 6.0.14 for Windows 10 Pro. When I open the app nothing shows on the screen. When I check Task manager there are 3 processes showing for VirtualBox:
  • VirtualBox Manager
  • VirtualBox Interface
  • VirtualBox Global Interface
I have attempted uninstall/reinstall several times making sure to run as administrator. Trying to run in compatibility mode does nothing. I saw a thread where someone had a similar issue and someone had asked if they had a program called Bluestacks installed which is an Android emulator. Unfortunately that's pretty much where the thread ended. I have no such app. Searching for this issue had yielded very little information. My system is fine otherwise. Here are my specs:
  • AMD Ryzen 2700X
  • 32GB RAM
  • Nvidia GTX 1070
  • Windows 10 Pro 1903 18632.418
Can someone please help me fix this? Thank you.
Last edited by socratis on 6. Nov 2019, 02:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Nothing shows when Virtualbox is launched Windows 10

Post by socratis »

1. Uninstall VirtualBox. Your VMs are going to be untouched. Reboot.
  2. Download (if you haven't already) the latest VirtualBox and its matching ExtPack. Store them in a common location, i.e. not on "Desktop", or "Documents", but to "Public/Downloads" for example.
  3. Uninstall (don't simply disable) all 3rd party antivirus. If you're afraid about your computer being vulnerable, pull the Ethernet plug, disconnect your WiFi, don't go browsing around.
  4. Locate the downloaded file in Windows Explorer. Right-click on the installer and select "Run-as-Administrator", even if you are the administrator. At the end of the installation, choose to "Start Oracle VM VirtualBox". Do not worry if your VMs do not show up.
  5. If you're going to install the ExtPack, go to File » Preferences » Extensions. Click on the icon with the orange, down-pointing arrow on the right. Select the ExtPack from the previous steps.
  6. Quit VirtualBox. Re-start VirtualBox as you would normally, i.e. from the Desktop shortcut or the Start menu.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DieHardBattery

Post by DieHardBattery »

socratis wrote:1. Uninstall VirtualBox. Your VMs are going to be untouched. Reboot.
I have done this several times. I have no VM's because there weren't any installed to begin with.
socratis wrote:2. Download (if you haven't already) the latest VirtualBox and its matching ExtPack. Store them in a common location, i.e. not on "Desktop", or "Documents", but to "Public/Downloads" for example.
Already done.
socratis wrote:3. Uninstall (don't simply disable) all 3rd party antivirus. If you're afraid about your computer being vulnerable, pull the Ethernet plug, disconnect your WiFi, don't go browsing around.
This does not apply since I am not using 3rd party antivirus, and AFAIK, Windows Defender cannot be disabled.
socratis wrote:4. Locate the downloaded file in Windows Explorer. Right-click on the installer and select "Run-as-Administrator", even if you are the administrator. At the end of the installation, choose to "Start Oracle VM VirtualBox". Do not worry if your VMs do not show up.
Again, I can't even get this far because NOTHING shows up. Therefore there is nothing to check.
socratis wrote:5. If you're going to install the ExtPack, go to File » Preferences » Extensions. Click on the icon with the orange, down-pointing arrow on the right. Select the ExtPack from the previous steps.
See above.
socratis wrote:6. Quit VirtualBox. Re-start VirtualBox as you would normally, i.e. from the Desktop shortcut or the Start menu.
The only way I can quit VirtualBox is via Task Manager and the 3 processes I listed in OP because there is no interface. Rebooting does not solve the problem.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

When you start Virtualbox, does a Virtualbox icon appear on your taskbar, as if a window is open but you just don't see the window, rather like a program that has been minimized?

If so, try going to "C:\Users\[yourusername]\.Virtualbox" (Note the period . in the folder name '.Virtualbox'.) Inside is a file called Virtualbox.xml. Open this file in Wordpad. Is there a line in ot that looks like this:
<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastWindowPosition" value="1236,109,770,816"/>
The numbers in your file will very likely be different, but is the line there? If it is, copy & post it here.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Why not just ZIP and post the whole thing instead (VirtualBox.xml), much easier...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DieHardBattery

Post by DieHardBattery »

scottgus1 wrote:When you start Virtualbox, does a Virtualbox icon appear on your taskbar, as if a window is open but you just don't see the window, rather like a program that has been minimized?
Unfotrunately, there is nothing in the taskbar. The only way I know it's running is via Task Manager.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Interesting. Go ahead and zip & post the file, as Socratis asks.

After posting the file, please try this. It will reset all the preferences you may have set in the File menu, Preferences. Your guests will disappear out of the main list, but they will still be on your PC. You will just need to register them again and everything will come back. And we can do this in a way that will revert back to the way things are now, in case something really important gets lost.

Be sure to zip and post the xml file first.

Then reboot your host PC so nothing related to Virtualbox is running.

Go to "C:\Users\[yourusername]" Move the '.Virtualbox' folder over to your desktop. Don't delete this folder, just move it.

Start Virtualbox. If all goes as planned, a new '.Virtualbox' folder will be made. Fresh Preferences will be populated, and you can find and register your guests. Hopefully the main window will open.
DieHardBattery

Post by DieHardBattery »

scottgus1 wrote:try going to "C:\Users\[yourusername]\.Virtualbox" (Note the period . in the folder name '.Virtualbox'.) Inside is a file called Virtualbox.xml.
Unfortunately when I open this folder, it is empty. No files at all.
DieHardBattery

Post by DieHardBattery »

socratis wrote:Why not just ZIP and post the whole thing instead (VirtualBox.xml), much easier...
I would love to do just that. Problem is my .Virtualbox folder is completely empty... I thought maybe there was something wrong with my install. So I removed it, downloaded VB again and installed it... same thing.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Is there a "C:\Users\<you>\.Virtualbox" at all? Delete the whole folder if it's there.

Are you running VirtualBox as you, or are you using a "Run As Administrator"? Make sure the shortcut isn't set to launch the application with elevated privileges.
DieHardBattery

Post by DieHardBattery »

socratis wrote:Is there a "C:\Users\<you>\.Virtualbox" at all? Delete the whole folder if it's there.

Are you running VirtualBox as you, or are you using a "Run As Administrator"? Make sure the shortcut isn't set to launch the application with elevated privileges.
Yes the folder is there. It makes no difference if I run it as me or administrator. I have virtualbox running on another PC with no issues. I do not have to run as administrator eery time I launch it on that PC. I did delete the folder but it made no difference.
Attachments
2019-11-05_6-15-34.jpg
2019-11-05_6-15-34.jpg (118.08 KiB) Viewed 23953 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I don't think this has anything to do with VirtualBox. I see this problem a lot with all kinds of apps, including some of my own. It will be held up for no apparant reason and then suddenly 10 windows pop up at once (because invariably the user thinks he didn't click the icon correctly, and tries again... and again). I've never pinned down the cause, but it only happens at work where there is heightened malware paranoia, so I'm going to guess that it's either an AV thing or a network access thing.

Also look for something third party related to storage: a network drive that might be unavailable, a virtual CD driver, virtual VHD driver etc.
DieHardBattery

Post by DieHardBattery »

Well I was unable to determine what was causing it, but I did perform a reset of Windows and that took care of it. Thanks to everyone!
Last edited by socratis on 6. Nov 2019, 02:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
fth0
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

For other users having the same problem:

Check in your Windows 10 security settings if you have the Ransomware Protection enabled, especially the Controlled Folder Access.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

DieHardBattery wrote:I did perform a reset of Windows and that took care of it
Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].
fth0 wrote:Ransomware Protection enabled, especially the Controlled Folder Access
Would that affect every single random folder? Or specific ones like "Documents", "Music", "Pictures", etc? The way you're describing it sounds like the "Controlled Folder Access" protects the Users folders from anything/everything. How do other applications cope? Do they need to be green-lighted somehow? Microsoft's article on this (Allow a blocked app in Windows Security) isn't quite detailed...