[Solved] Nothing shows when Virtualbox is launched Windows 10

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: [Solved] Nothing shows when Virtualbox is launched Windows 10

Post by fth0 »

I had the Controlled Folder Access protection activated for some weeks, but it didn't seem to be mature enough (for me): By default, the folders Documents, Pictures, Videos, Music, Desktop and Favorites were protected (and not removable from protection), and you could manually add any folder and/or app you like. Nearly every time I've installed or updated some software (incl. Windows updates itself), the protection system asked me to allow some write access, mostly to the Desktop folder (many software installers seem to temporarily put auxiliary executables on the Desktop, just for the installation process, so it was an interesting experience ;)). The major problem for me was that many software installers didn't wait for my approval, so part of the installation was never done, and I couldn't judge if some important updates were missing in consequence. Finally, I disabled the feature.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I think we're moving slowly but surely to a walled-garden environment. Some call it a prison... :?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

If VirtualBox was being deliberately blocked then rebooting the PC would accomplish nada. I think it's clear that the first instance of the app choked on something.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Nothing shows when Virtualbox is launched Windows 10

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:rebooting the PC would accomplish nada
DieHardBattery wrote:but I did perform a reset of Windows
It doesn't sound like the OP did a simple reboot, but a reset to defaults...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Dan Aram

Post by Dan Aram »

Guys, I'm sorry to report that in 2021 I'm having the exact same problem. I think my Virtualbox ran at least once, but when I tried using it via Git bash, it never ran. then realized that if I tried running theVirtual box app, it didn't do anything.

It also does run some processes, but There is no window minimized or moved anywhere. I checked well. Reinstalled several times, moved the .Virtualbox folder out of my users folder (mine was also empty) but this App simply doesn't run.

Oh yes! i did tun a FRESH INSTALLATION !!!! no luck for me. The only thing I can think of is that I ran all updates on windows and installed my necesary apps before installing Virtualbox. Im ready to do another Fresh install and must find a solution in the next couple of days or will have to drop a bootcamp i signed up for ...

Help !
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

"Me too" posts several years later are usually ignored. Please start your own topic and ideally provide a zipped VM log file.

Also read: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).

I can also tell you that failure to run apps is usually a problem with the host OS - overzealous overdone AV, bad network or I/O etc. It isn't a problem with VirtualBox or else we'd have a great many more reports of it.