how to prescribe Port_ & Hub ?

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
x1495

how to prescribe Port_ & Hub ?

Post by x1495 »

Hello.

Help me please. I have 5 identical devices (one name and all parameters)

how to attach them to each virtual machine if I have the following parameters in my computer:

Port_ # 0002.Hub_ # 0003
Port_ # 0002.Hub_ # 0004
Port_ # 0002.Hub_ # 0005
Port_ # 0002.Hub_ # 0006

version 6.0.10 r132072 (Qt5.6.2)
Attachments
2019-09-07_14-26-39.png
2019-09-07_14-26-39.png (69.98 KiB) Viewed 2522 times
2019-09-07_14-23-00.png
2019-09-07_14-23-00.png (61.39 KiB) Viewed 2522 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: how to prescribe Port_ & Hub ?

Post by socratis »

1. Edit your message and downsize your attached images by 50% (at least), and change the DPI to 72. Not everyone has the luxury of a HiDPI display. Use the "Preview" before hitting "Submit". Do the images/fonts look large? Fix it before hitting the "Submit" button. ;)
  2. Change temporarily the language for your host to English. I can't read Russian, and most people in these forums can't. And it's a really royal pain to translate an image...
  3. Read the following thread: USB basics and troubleshooting » #5: Common problems. That's a tough problem to solve...
  4. With all the USB devices plugged into your host, post the output of the command from the Command Prompt:
    • cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox"      <-- change it if not the default installation
      VBoxManage -version
      VBoxManage list extpacks
      VBoxManage list usbhost

Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
x1495

Post by x1495 »

sorry ... I'm new

I calculated the serial number of the port through the "device manager". Next, I connected each port to the virtual machine through the "USB Filter Details" - in this way I was able to connect 4 devices to each virtual machine.
1. https://yadi.sk/i/OapmlzRGUxUhGA
2. https://yadi.sk/i/FTTKAgh7AFetgg

after some time, the connected devices, for some reason, ceased to be detected by the virtual machine, while trying to restore the system an error
https://yadi.sk/i/H_yunA4Q4AQnGw

(!) BUT IF INSERTING THE DEVICE IN ANOTHER "USB PORT" - it turns out to connect the device to the virtual machine. I don’t know why this happens ...

I have a "USb HUB" http://prntscr.com/p3rpa2 , if I check ports through the "device manager" then I get the following data
"USb HUB" port 1 = Port_ # 0001.Hub_ # 0007
"USb HUB" port 2 = Port_ # 0002.Hub_ # 0007
"USb HUB" port 3 = Port_ # 0003.Hub_ # 0007
"USb HUB" port 4 = Port_ # 0004.Hub_ # 0007
"USb HUB" port 5 = Port_ # 0003.Hub_ # 0005
"USb HUB" port 6 = Port_ # 0002.Hub_ # 0005
"USb HUB" port 7 = Port_ # 0001.Hub_ # 0005

I also followed all your command line recommendations
https://yadi.sk/i/RnZIAkDDRx4bjQ
https://yadi.sk/i/ISOeWw8lZWHHyg
Attachments
Downloads.rar
(248.5 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Last edited by x1495 on 9. Sep 2019, 14:54, edited 3 times in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Please post your info to this website, zipped, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. Folks here tend to not go to 3rd-part websites for things that should be on the forum.
x1495

Post by x1495 »

ok did
x1495

Post by x1495 »

with great difficulty, I restored the work of 4 devices by "reinstalling" and "device manager"

the question still remains. How to configure the filter not only by port but also by hub?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

x1495 wrote:How to configure the filter not only by port but also by hub?
You can't. VirtualBox does not provide that option. Only by port number you can filter your USB devices.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

As Socratis mentioned, you can't filter by hub. USB hubs are not considered by Virtualbox, though doing so has been requested. In fact one forum post I read some time ago says the Virtualbox code deliberately prevents hubs from appearing in the USB filters. Must have been a good reason.

The 5.png (by the way, it is a lot easier to copy & paste the command text than to get a screenshot) shows the "vboxmanage list usbhosts" command. You will notice the "Port:" listing in each of the four devices in that screenshot. This is the number that you must put in the "Port" box in the Virtualbox USB filter. No other listing of port numbers will apply, only the "Port:" number you see from "vboxmanage list usbhosts".

You also need to have a different "Port:" number in each device's listing in "vboxmanage list usbhosts". One device you have listed is port 1, another is port 4, and two are port 2. You will need to rearrange USB devices on your PC until you get a different port number for each of the identical devices in the command output. Then they can be filtered. See Distinguish multiple identical USB devices for my experiences. (In fact, the purpose of Socratis' request that you post the entire output of the command, not just the 4 devices, may have been to see what port numbers you may have available. Because you didn't follow directions, now we don't know what exactly to recommend.)

One other thing, see USB basics and troubleshooting as recommended by Socratis, item #4. Notice the difference between the filter screenshot in that post and the screenshot 2.png in your post. There's far more info in your filter than is in the recommended settings in the tutorial. Again, the "follow directions" thing...
x1495

Post by x1495 »

Thank you very much for your help! unfortunately I have only 4 unique ports .. :D :)
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

if you'd like you can post the entire output, as text, of the 'vboxmanage list usbhost' command, letting us see all of the USB devices you have connected and what ports they're connected on, and we can see if something can be moved.
x1495

Post by x1495 »

I already checked I have only 4 unique ports, can you better advise how to make more devices work on one computer?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

No.