host memory allocation

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
ov2k

host memory allocation

Post by ov2k »

I've been having some memory issues with VirtualBox. After reading various forum posts, I have some questions about memory allocation. Some posts state that VirtualBox contiguous memory. Other forum posts state the VirtualBox does lazy allocation. How exactly do these work together? When a deferred allocation occurs, does VirtualBox still require that the new block be contiguous?

For reference:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78735
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=85816
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: host memory allocation

Post by socratis »

ov2k wrote:I've been having some memory issues with VirtualBox
Like ... what exactly?

As for your questions regarding "lazy memory allocation" and "contiguous allocation", I'll refer you to the response of Ramshankar in the "What happens if I exceed my RAM?" thread. Memory is allocated in contiguous chunks, but not all of it at the launch of the VM (i.e. in a lazy allocated fashion), unless the following has been set:
  • 
    VBoxManage setextradata "<VMname>" "VBoxInternal/RamPreAlloc" 1
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ov2k

Re: host memory allocation

Post by ov2k »

socratis wrote:Like ... what exactly?
When I figure that out, I'll let you know. I think there are a couple of things going on, and I'm trying to separate them. Memory issues are a pain. My suspicion is there's another program that's causing problems similar to GoogleCrashHandler64.exe or Prio.exe, but I'm still investigating.

I saw Ramshankar's post, but I don't think I phrased my question very well. Is there a requirement that the new chunk of memory be contiguous with the existing VM memory? From the other direction, if I encounter an out of memory condition from lazy allocation, can I infer that VirtualBox was unable to allocate 128KB? When resuming a saved VM, memory is allocated in a single contiguous block? In other words, can lazy allocation result in a VM that can be saved but not resumed?