After 6.0.10 all my VMs lack GUI if there is one headless VM started

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
gustavofarias
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win XP, Lubuntu 18

After 6.0.10 all my VMs lack GUI if there is one headless VM started

Post by gustavofarias »

Until yesterday, I had a Windows 7 host, hosting Linux and Windows guests.
At host startup, there is a scheduled task that starts one VM in headless mode (VBoxManage startvm MyVM --type headless).
When I want another VM, I just start it using the Virtual Box gui.

Today I upgraded to 6.0.10, and now it doesn't work anymore.
The startup VM is still starting headlessly, but when I try to start a second VM using the VBox gui, it doesn't show the GUI. I know it is started as I can see the preview.

If I kill the headless VM and then start the other VM, it will show it's GUI. So it's the first headless VM that is preventing VMs that come after to show their GUIs.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: After 6.0.10 all my VMs lack GUI if there is one headless VM started

Post by scottgus1 »

We will at least need to see a log of the GUI-started guest failing to show its GUI while the headless guest is running. Cold-boot to seeing the problem, to shut-down from within the guest OS if possible. Can you remote into the guest while this is happening?

As I understand, if you do not start the auto-start headless guest, you can see the GUI of the GUI-started guest just fine. In this situation, without the auto-start-headless guest running, can you manually start a guest headless, then start another guest GUI and have the second GUI show?
gustavofarias

Post by gustavofarias »

"As I understand, if you do not start the auto-start headless guest, you can see the GUI of the GUI-started guest just fine."
That's correct.

"In this situation, without the auto-start-headless guest running, can you manually start a guest headless, then start another guest GUI and have the second GUI show?"
Yes, I do.

Summarizing:
The problem only occurs if the headless guest is started by windows scheduled task at startup. After this, any attempt (via gui or via command line) will start the second VM, but it will have no Gui.

If I start the headless guest via gui or command line (i.e. manually), the second VM will show gui just fine, had I started it by any means.

If I execute the scheduled task manually, the problem still occurs. So, it's likely that this has to do with user accounts, privileges... Anyway, in VBox 5.x it always worked.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

OK, interesting. Please zip and post the requested log using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

Also please post the command line you're using to start the headless guest from Task Scheduler. What is the 'trigger' for the task? Which of the "Run" radio buttons is selected: 'only when user is logged on', or 'whether user is logged on or not'? And is it run with highest privileges?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

One other question: if you disable the task, so the headless guest doesn't start at host boot, what happens if you then start it from the task after logging in, then try to start a GUI guest?
Edit - scratch this, I just saw:
If I execute the scheduled task manually, the problem still occurs
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

FWIW Virtualbox 6 changed the execution exe for GUI guests from a subset of the main Virtualbox window's Virtualbox.exe to VirtualboxVM.exe, to plug an apparent or possible security hole. Could be the task's command line has to be changed?
gustavofarias

Post by gustavofarias »

scottgus1 wrote:FWIW Virtualbox 6 changed the execution exe for GUI guests from a subset of the main Virtualbox window's Virtualbox.exe to VirtualboxVM.exe, to plug an apparent or possible security hole. Could be the task's command line has to be changed?
The task is to start a headless VM, not a GUI one. I looked into the manuals and the options are:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage.exe startvm MyVM --type headless
or

Code: Select all

VBoxHeadless.exe startvm MyVM
The second option keeps the terminal open if i use manually. If I put it in the task the task fails.
Last edited by gustavofarias on 29. Aug 2019, 18:47, edited 2 times in total.
gustavofarias

Post by gustavofarias »

scottgus1 wrote:OK, interesting. Please zip and post the requested log using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

Also please post the command line you're using to start the headless guest from Task Scheduler. What is the 'trigger' for the task? Which of the "Run" radio buttons is selected: 'only when user is logged on', or 'whether user is logged on or not'? And is it run with highest privileges?
There are 5 log files per VM. There is some sensitive data in the logs. I will figure a way to post here.

The trigger: at startup
Selected: "whether user is logged on or not'" (because the VM runs a service) AND "highest privileges" (without this one the task fail)
The action is:
--Program: "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe"
--Arguments: startvm MyVM --type headless
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

You would only need to post the one log from the GUI-failing guest when the headless guest prevents the GUI from showing. Zip and post using Upload Attachment.
gustavofarias

Post by gustavofarias »

As I was in a hurry I switched back to VBox 5.2 and everything came back to normal.
Many thanks for the help.
Marzon

Post by Marzon »

Was there ever a solution to this, besides reverting to version 5.2? I am having the same problem exactly.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

@Marzon, no, the rollback to 5.2 was Gustavo's workaround. Lets leave this thread for if Gustavo wants to pick it up again.

Please start a new topic with your own description of the problem, and a zipped guest vbox.log of the failing guest. Also please see Minimum Info Needed for Assistance