[Solved] Installing Win10, "A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine"

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
YajirobeTho

[Solved] Installing Win10, "A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine"

Post by YajirobeTho »

Trying to figure this out on my own but the log doesn't seem to have a clear "failure" message as seen in prior posts on this forum, would appreciate if someone can decipher what the problem is here

Attempting to run/install Win10 from an ISO saved on the desktop for the first time, can't get past the initial Windows-logo boot/install splash screen.

Thanks!
Attachments
VBox.zip
(58.3 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Last edited by socratis on 13. Aug 2019, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Installing Win10 first time, "A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine"

Post by scottgus1 »

Your guest did a Triple Fault. This is an error that blew past all the error-checking routines that Virtualbox has. It apparently indicates that the guest OS tried to do something really unexpected.

Were you trying to install Windows 10 when this error happened? Maybe the install ISO is bad, try downloading it again. It is not named the way an official Windows 10 ISO would be named. That may be just a rename, but try a new download from Microsoft.
YajirobeTho

Re: Installing Win10 first time, "A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine"

Post by YajirobeTho »

Yeah this is the first run, installing Win10 from the Iso generated from the Microsoft media creation tool

I did rename the created ISO, didn't really think that would matter but lol I'll rename/redownload and give it another go and report back, thanks
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

If you just renamed it, that wouldn't cause the trouble. I rename official ISO's too. There's no way I'd remember six minutes from now that this:
9600.17050.WINBLUE_REFRESH.140317-1640_X64FRE_SERVER_EVAL_EN-US-IR3_SSS_X64FREE_EN-US_DV9.ISO
was Server 2012R2 without tacking a '2012R2' on the name. :roll:

But Windows 10 gets installed all the time without pulling triple faults, and that the problem developed during install makes me wonder if the ISO was bad. Please let us know what happens with a fresh download.
YajirobeTho

Post by YajirobeTho »

scottgus1 wrote:If you just renamed it, that wouldn't cause the trouble. I rename official ISO's too.
Yeah that's what I figured too but I've run into stranger issues so it was plausible lol

Anyway, re-downloaded the ISO and unfortunately same issue

Set up the VirtualBox with Win10 64-bit environment, and downloaded Win10 64-bit from Microsoft media creator so...

https://i.imgur.com/mtAi86S.png
Log: https://pastebin.com/raw/pcBSwejs

Anything else I can try?
Thanks
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

The following lines from the VirtualBox log file show the problem:
VirtualBox wrote:
00:00:01.601245 CPUM: WARNING! Can't turn on NX/XD when the host doesn't support it!
00:00:09.483693 IEM: wrmsr(0xc0000080,0x0`00000d00) -> #GP(0)
00:00:09.483756 Changing the VM state from 'RUNNING' to 'GURU_MEDITATION'
Using my favorite search engine on the internet to search for the content of the line starting with IEM leads to several posts on the VirtualBox forums, e.g. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=78422, which tells to enable NX/XD (Data Execution Prevention) in the BIOS.
YajirobeTho

Post by YajirobeTho »

Thanks, that was it

Went into my Bios and enabled the data execution thing under the CPU tab, and all is well now

Really appreciate the help from everyone
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Brilliant catch, fth0! Would have never noticed that. One more thing to check.