usb floppy on win10 host win95 guest

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
vbj

usb floppy on win10 host win95 guest

Post by vbj »

I'm using Windows 10 as the host machine with win95A (4.00.950 OSR1 1-16-1996 OEM). A Sabrent USB 2 floppy is attached to the host with a 1.4 diskette inserted. Before starting up the VM when I navigate to the A-drive, the floppy's light comes om and I can browse the diskette fine. The device shows in file explorer and in devices & printers. When Win95 starts the drive disappears from both places on the Win10 host. On the guest machine there are no folders associated with the usb and when I select the floppy (A: drive) I receive the message that the diskette isn't formatted.

Tips?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: usb floppy on win10 host win95 guest

Post by scottgus1 »

If you are passing the floppy through as a USB device, I don't think Windows 95 understood USB natively. Try this:
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19085-01/pc ... index.html

It may work if you keep the USB drive as a host drive, and try to attach the guest drive to the host drive, if that's possible (I don't have a floppy on my host to test.)

Or make a floppy image then put the image into the guest's floppy drive.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

scottgus1 wrote: It may work if you keep the USB drive as a host drive, and try to attach the guest drive to the host drive, if that's possible
In principle it's possible. It may depends on how the host treats the USB drive, i.e. does it emulate a floppy drive or a hard drive?

IMHO, ditch the floppy idea, access host files using an ad hoc ISO (viso file). When the VM is running look at Devices|Optical|Create ad hoc ISO. This tool allows you to add host files to the virtual ISO for your VM.
vbj

Post by vbj »

Thank you both!!

I think it is important to say I’m having the same issue with Windows 98.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

vbj wrote: I think it is important to say I’m having the same issue with Windows 98.
Which issue is that? If you mean that you don't have USB drivers for the guest, then you're going to have that problem pretty much regardless of the guest OS. OS standardized "mass storage" drivers didn't exist before XP. IIRC Win95 didn't have USB, period.

You need to do as Scottgus already told you. Disable the USB filters you created, and instead map the virtual drive to the host drive using the Storage panel in the VM settings. You may also need to add a virtual floppy drive controller and 1.44MB floppy drive to the guest settings.

p.s. I just tried it with a USB floppy drive I have here at work - and it worked fine. However in my case the floppy drive presents to the host as a floppy drive, not a USB hard drive. This is all I have to test with, so I don't know what VirtualBox would do if that wasn't the case.
vbj

Post by vbj »

Thank you for that reply and for trying it with your device ... I will go in that direction!
ghr
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: DOS, Win3x, Win95, WinXP, Ubuntu, OS/2

Post by ghr »

There *might* be something more/else to that: See Item "Discuss: Tutorial: Windows 95/98 guest OSes" in Board index ‹ Guest systems ‹ Windows Guests. This is a rather lengthy post, where you want the contribution from Ramzee, Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:56 pm. It mentions Amdk6upd.exe. Just in case...