Trouble installing a game which requires a reboot to finish installation (Windows XP)

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
LMAManager2005

Trouble installing a game which requires a reboot to finish installation (Windows XP)

Post by LMAManager2005 »

I am trying to install and play LMA Manager 2005 on my laptop. My laptop has windows 10 but I have used VirtualBox to successfully run windows XP on it. I have managed to install the game from a CD on windows XP and to finish the installation the game requires a reboot - saying "Application installed successfully, reboot the computer to complete installation."

The problem occurs when I reboot windows XP however, as the blue screen shows up for a fraction of a second when trying to start up and then I get a screen saying:

"We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this."

If I try and 'Start Windows Normally', the same thing happens again. If I start using the 'Last Known Good Configuration' then it starts successfully, however the game has not finished installing and still says it requires the reboot to complete installation.

Is there any way of fixing this so I can successfully reboot and install the game?

(Apologies that my language is not very technical, if you need any extra information I shall do my best to try and find it)
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Trouble installing a game which requires a reboot to finish installation (Windows XP)

Post by scottgus1 »

LMAManager2005 wrote:blue screen shows up for a fraction of a second
I am assuming this refers to a Blue Screen of Death in the XP guest

If so, you will need to google how to get the XP guest to not automatically reboot when a BSOD happens. Or google how to look in XP's Event Viewer for what the BSOD was. Then report back what the BSOD is.

Does the guest normally reboot ok and just BSODs when this game is installing? Does the guest BSOD when any other CD's or ISO's are in the guest drive?

Fwiw, if this game requires a lot of the video card it might not work too well, the virtual video card is not very strong and you won't be able to use the host's video card.
LMAManager2005

Re: Trouble installing a game which requires a reboot to finish installation (Windows XP)

Post by LMAManager2005 »

Thanks for getting back so quickly!

Some more information based on your feedback:

1. The blue flash did turn out to be what you predicted - the ominous BSOD (Blue Screen of Death).
2. The guest normally reboots okay and just BSODs when rebooting to install the new game.
3. The CD of the game can still be in the drive and the guest will still reboot okay, it seems to be only when it reboots to install the new game that it BSODs. I have even tried rebooting to install the game without the CD in the drive and it unfortunately BSODs.

I looked up how to stop the automatic reboot when it BSODs and have found the "Technical Information" which is:

*** STOP: 0x0000007F (0x0000000D, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

The BSOD also recommends starting in "Safe Mode" which I have tried but it seemed to BSOD again.

I hope this helps, thank you!
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

If you are using a physical CD in the host CD drive, the only thing I could suggest is to try to enable "pass-through" on the guest CD drive.

Too bad it's a game, it probably has copy-protection, otherwise I'd say try copying the CD contents onto a folder on the hard drive then install from the folder. Who knows, maybe it would work?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Also, does the BSOD mention what file caused the error?
LMAManager2005

Post by LMAManager2005 »

I believe I have enabled the "pass-through" as I installed it from the CD onto the guest drive.

Would it be easier to install it from a folder though? I have copied the CD onto a folder in the guest documents and could install it from there. If this would be easier and may work, how would I go about installing it from the folder I have created?

The BSOD unfortunately does not mention which file caused the error.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Usually you can see a "setup.exe" or read the Autorun.inf file to find the program that would start when the CD is inserted.