Scale mode without borders

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
RSW

Scale mode without borders

Post by RSW »

Hi
I installed virtual machine with windows 2000 to run Discworld Noir. Game runs well, but when launching it in full screen game window is small in the center, and most of screen is black. When I run it in scaled mode it is fine, but there is border on top of the screen and windows 10 taskbar at the botton. Is it possible to run the game full screen in actual full screen? Please help. I'm new in this topic, so sorry if the answer to this question is obvious,
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Scale mode without borders

Post by socratis »

RSW wrote:Is it possible to run the game full screen in actual full screen?
Chances are that you can't. The game was written for an OS that could give full control to the game (Win95/98). The games could scale the video output to their like, since they had complete control. Not so in later versions of the OS (like Win10). I bet you that you'd have problems running that game in Win10.

Programs like these tend to push the physical hardware to their limit hence the strict requirements for the graphics card (GPU) specifications. Virtual machines will never be as powerful as the host, especially on the video side. They use after all a virtual graphics card, not your host's real graphics card. The virtual GPU itself is from around 1995-2000 in terms of capabilities. Applications that have high requirements on the GPU (drawing, 3D, games, video) are expected to not work as good as on the real hardware, if they work at all.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
RSW

Post by RSW »

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm running it in windows 10. I'm not sure if I understand well but scaled mode seems to be the only option. I'm quite satisfied with the results in scaled mode, however I can't get rid of info that "windows 2000 running oracle vm virtualbox" on top in that mode. Game has dark shades, this bar is bright. Is there a way to get rid of that info and have scaled mode running whole screen?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Not really, no. Scaled mode is ... scaled. It's a window, with borders, frames, and widgets. Can't get rid of them.

On the other hand, full-screen mode is a different kind of beast, one that might not communicate properly the size and color depth to the game, or the game can't handle it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.