Cannot attach medium VBoxGuestAdditions.iso

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
koops

Cannot attach medium VBoxGuestAdditions.iso

Post by koops »

Hi there,

This is my 'inaccessible' virtual machine. I was trying to uninstall an old vbox guest additions so I had multiple guest additions mounted when my host system crashed.
vbox inaccessible.PNG
vbox inaccessible.PNG (44.71 KiB) Viewed 2944 times
I believe I have the same issue as Mary Ann in the thread: "[Solved] Cannot attach medium ... medium is already associated with the current state of machine" (I can't add the link as this is my first post)

It seems like @mpack did some magic on the virtual machine and repaired it. How may I fix this?

I've also attached my virtual machine if anyone would like to have a look.
Attachments
Lubuntu.zip
(1.91 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
Last edited by socratis on 27. Jul 2019, 09:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added missing URL.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Cannot attach medium VBoxGuestAdditions.iso

Post by scottgus1 »

It doth appear that you have almost the same issue in your Lubuntu guest that the linked poster had. You have two CD drives in your guest, and both have the same Guest Additions ISO inserted:
<DVDImages>
  <Image uuid="{4470bc09-1149-42c7-a122-65823e7f72f2}" location="C:/Program Files/Oracle/VirtualBox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso"/>
</DVDImages>
<StorageController name="IDE" type="PIIX4" PortCount="2" useHostIOCache="true" Bootable="true">
  <AttachedDevice passthrough="false" type="DVD" hotpluggable="false" port="1" device="0">
    <Image uuid="{4470bc09-1149-42c7-a122-65823e7f72f2}"/>
  </AttachedDevice>
  <AttachedDevice passthrough="false" type="DVD" hotpluggable="false" port="0" device="0">
    <Image uuid="{4470bc09-1149-42c7-a122-65823e7f72f2}"/>
  </AttachedDevice>
</StorageController>
Based on Mpack's solution in the linked thread, to remove the ISO's from the CD drives, Here's what the same sections would look like:
<DVDImages/>
<StorageController name="IDE" type="PIIX4" PortCount="2" useHostIOCache="true" Bootable="true">
  <AttachedDevice passthrough="false" type="DVD" hotpluggable="false" port="1" device="0" />
  <AttachedDevice passthrough="false" type="DVD" hotpluggable="false" port="0" device="0" />
</StorageController>
These edits are in this Lubuntu.vbox file. Turn off all things related to Virtualbox, maybe reboot your host so there's nothing running related to Virtualbox. Then make a backup copy of the Lubuntu.vbox file you have now, then copy this edited file into the guest folder over the top of the original.
Attachments
edited Lubuntu.zip
(1.84 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
Last edited by socratis on 27. Jul 2019, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote][pre] tags for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Actually, you don't even need two DVD drives, just one.
<StorageController name="IDE" type="PIIX4" PortCount="1" useHostIOCache="true" Bootable="true">
  <AttachedDevice passthrough="false" type="DVD" hotpluggable="false" port="0" device="0" />
</StorageController>
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
koops

Post by koops »

Thanks so much @socrates. Unfortunately when I load the edited vbox file it gives an error: extra content at the end of the document (line 93)

However when I check line 93 it refers to the </VirtualBox> tag so I'm unsure hwo to resolve it. Any suggestions?
vboxerror.PNG
vboxerror.PNG (33.03 KiB) Viewed 2916 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Try this one:
Attachments
Lubuntu.zip
(1.87 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
koops

Post by koops »

Thanks so much @mpack, what did you do to fix it?
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I didn't. I started from scratch from your first post of it. Easier than trying to count brackets in an XML.