Memory initialization

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
cips

Memory initialization

Post by cips »

Hello All.

I noticed this behavior, which is probably expected: dumping the RAM of a guest (with ".pgmphystofile" command) I saw that the memory is not initialized between reboots, like if there was a real powerdown. Sometimes, between restarts of the guest, I find some memory artifacts belonging to processes that shouldn't be there.
I assume this happens because I'm not restarting the host system, so probably the RAM is just remapped, but not initialized. This is a bit annoying in some case, especially if you are using the system for testing purposes.

Is there a way to force the guest to initialize the allocated RAM to zero (or FF, or something else), in order to emulate a real powerdown-powerup?
Thanks for your help.
C.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Memory initialization

Post by socratis »

Does the memory get "initialized" (zeroed out) when you shutdown/startup instead of a reboot?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
cips

Post by cips »

Hello.

No, unfortunately it isn't. No matter if I reboot or Powerdown/PowerUp. The memory is not initialized.

Thanks,
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Since this is a highly technical question, your best bet would be to ask in the VirtualBox developers list.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.