USB Bulk Transfer

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
guru1810

USB Bulk Transfer

Post by guru1810 »

We are using a USB device which needs to be validated across multiple OS. We are trying the Oracle VirtualBox 6.0.8 with Windows 7/8 as a Guest OS. Base OS is Windows 10.

We used Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack 6.0.8 for USB passthrough between the base OS and Virtual OS. When we try to use USB bulk transfer we are getting the timeout error and if we increase the timeout time still we are getting the same issue. USB control transfer is working fine. Kindly let me know if you have any solution for this issue.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: USB Bulk Transfer

Post by socratis »

Not sure if bulk transfers are working or not. Did you have successes with other guests? Have you enabled USB3 on your Win7/8 VM? Can't remember about Win8, but for Win7 if you enable USB3 (which you should), you need to install the Intel xHCI drivers. For more information see USB basics and troubleshooting » #6: Guest support.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
guru1810

Post by guru1810 »

We tried with USB 3.0 after installing the Intel xHCI drivers for windows 7 but that was a failure too. We are facing the same issue.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

What kind of "a device" are we talking about? Hand-made? I asked the developers over IRC and they confirmed that bulk transfers are supported, generally speaking. Now, specifically for this device? Your guess is as good as mine...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
guru1810

Post by guru1810 »

It is not a hand made device. It is a microcontroller which uses libusb to talk to the device and uses the bulk transfer method to transfer data. It works fine with base OS in all machines and VMware also.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

That would suggest that there may be an issue somewhere in the VirtualBox USB implementation. Is there anything getting written into the VBox.log file when the timeouts occur?

Which microcontroller is it and how is the USB support implemented on it?

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.