Documentation & implementation suggestions

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
abcdefgh
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux Mint 20.3 Mate

Documentation & implementation suggestions

Post by abcdefgh »

Re: "[SOLVED] A simple Host/Guest switcher? Is there a key?" (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93515&p=450823#p450823), especially the last 2 posts.
Re: "Oracle VM VirtualBox, User Manual, Version 6.0.8", section 1.9.2, paragraph 5.
This means the following:
Your keyboard is owned by the VM if the VM window on your host desktop has the keyboard focus. If you have many windows open in your guest OS, the window that has the focus in your VM is used. This means that if you want to enter text within your VM, click on the title bar of your VM window first.
This means the following:
The antecedent of "This" is indeterminate and needs to be replaced by a definite noun. Does "This" refer to the Host key? Does "This" refer to keyboard ownership? Does "This" refer to the process of returning ownership to the host? Does "This" refer to changing the default Host key? Does "This" refer to the Host key icon? All these possible antecedents of "This" and more are present in the paragraph immediately preceding this paragraph. Note that use of an indefinite pronoun to refer to an antecedent that is not the subject noun of its sentence or of the sentence immediately preceding is considered poor grammar. An antecedent that is in an entirely separate paragraph, as is the case here, is considered a hanging offense.
Your keyboard is owned by the VM if the VM window on your host desktop has the keyboard focus.
There is no way to know that such is the case. While the Guest is displayed, there is no visual indication of keyboard ownership. In addition, keyboard ownership is an architectural concept of which users are unlikely to be aware. The only way to know where keyboard strokes go is to try typing.
If you have many windows open in your guest OS, the window that has the focus in your VM is used.
That is not true. If the VMM (a Host application) has focus, the Guest windows are shown, but none of them have focus. Instead, pressing the Host key provokes a "VirtualBox - Information" notice. Note that the provocation of the notice appears to be modal depending on whether the VMM has focus or a guest window has focus. There's simply no way to know that. To alleviate the issue, it would help if the following 3 state-dependent, visual formats were adopted:
  • - Any Host window other than the VMM has focus: The VM title bar is dimmed, all Guest windows are dimmed, and the Host OS controls how its focus is indicted (usually via a Host OS task bar).
    - The VMM has focus: The VM title bar is bright, all Guest windows are dimmed.
    - Any Guest window has focus: The VM title bar is bright, all Guest windows are bright, and the Guest OS controls how its focus is indicted (usually via a Guest OS task bar).
Note: By "VMM" above, I mean the Host window that displays (encapsulates) the VM's guest, not the VM's configuration manager or the VBox application.
This means that if you want to enter text within your VM, click on the title bar of your VM window first.
What does "within your VM" mean? Does this refer to focus on the VMM or to focus on a Guest window? Adoption of the 3 state-dependent, visual formats above would alleviate confusion.

I continued reading section 1.9.2 and found it to be unclear for reasons cited above and that it seems to address disparate topics.
I'm actually markfilipak (which somehow became 'markfilipak2', then 'abcdefgh'). I've been here since 15 Jul 2012 but lost my name during the great shift to SSO (single sign-on) during 2017, and have not been able to recover it.