Pointer devices not working in EFI

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Willbr

Pointer devices not working in EFI

Post by Willbr »

I have VBox 6.0.8 r130520 installed on W10 RS5 x64 & am testing the Dell UEFI PBA. I can get USB drives, USB smart card readers & external USB keyboards to work but neither the laptop's touchpad nor external USB mice will work. Both work fine in the Legacy PBA which is Linux. There are also no issues once Im in the UEFI Windows 10 19H1 guest.

When I run the command to attach the mouse to the VM I hear Windows ding that it is disconnected from the host & it no longer responds to the host but after 30-45 seconds it reverts back (dong, ding) to the host again

I tried setting up a generic blank filter but that did not work.

This is an issue on three different model Dell laptops.

Is this supposed to work in EFI since the doc. says EFI has "experimental support"?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Pointer devices not working in EFI

Post by socratis »

For those of you out there like me, who don't know what PDA is, it stands for Pre-Boot Authentication and according to Wikipedia:
Pre-boot authentication (PBA) or power-on authentication (POA) serves as an extension of the BIOS or boot firmware and guarantees a secure, tamper-proof environment external to the operating system as a trusted authentication layer. The PBA prevents anything being read from the hard disk such as the operating system until the user has confirmed they have the correct password or other credentials.
Since the EFI implementation is (as you've noticed) still "experimental" I wouldn't be surprised if such exotic features aren't implemented. Heck, you can't even boot Win7 or OSX>10.13 with EFI in VirtualBox...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Willbr

Re: Pointer devices not working in EFI

Post by Willbr »

Sorry, yes Pre-boot Authentication (PBA). Im so used to saying PBA around here I did not think about it.

I kinda figured it may not work & no one has come up with the settings to make it work, but one can hope.

VMware has other issues preventing our testing. I have not played with Hyper-V yet.

Thanks for the reply.