deactivating network settings

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
nuk3z

deactivating network settings

Post by nuk3z »

Hello Guys,

is it possible to grey out the Network settings for users in virtual box? We are using it in our company for clients who need admin accounts (for project use) but not in intranet. With NAT they can access our network and I want to disable this setting...

Thanks for your answers.

BR

nuk3z
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: deactivating network settings

Post by socratis »

Short answer, no.
  • You are giving your users admin access to your computers, and you're worried about an application? Doesn't compute... :shock:
Longer answer: maybe yes.
  • You could setup the VM, and then "lock" the configuration by issuing the command:
    • 
      VBoxManage setextradata "<VMname>" "GUI/PreventReconfiguration" true
    That would prevent the reconfiguration of the VM, but... as you can imagine a knowledgeable user could easily revert that and have reign over the VM Settings, as they already have for the whole computer. That's security through obfuscation, never worked for real.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
nuk3z

Post by nuk3z »

Thanks for the answer, I will try this out. We dont grant our users admin access on the host, only in VM.

BR

nuk3z
Last edited by socratis on 6. Jun 2019, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Still the same knowledgeable user could bypass that, because they have R/W access to the VM's settings, the .vbox file.

VirtualBox wasn't designed with the user being in a "kiosk" mode. You can turn some things off, but you can't hide them. Access to the User Manual and a dedicated person can rip through the "security" model like a hot knife through butter... ;)

Good luck!
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.