I need help. My virtualbox always has the hardware acceleration problem.

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
qqqqqqqqq

I need help. My virtualbox always has the hardware acceleration problem.

Post by qqqqqqqqq »

The error message is this:
VT-x/AMD-V hardware acceleration is not available on your system. Certain guests (e.g. OS/2 and QNX) require this feature and will fail to boot without it.

I know that some common fixes include turning off Hyper-V and enabling virtualization, however, I don't see Hyper-V in windows features, and I already enabled IOMMU in my Gigabyte UEFI.
After enabling IOMMU, I still encounter the hardware acceleration error. When I press continue, it just freezes with a windows logo. I can't turn off Hyper-V for an easy fix because I simply don't see it. When I uncheck the box for hardware acceleration in the acceleration tab of the system settings for my virtual environment, I still get this error message and the OS doesn't boot.

This is what the logs say:
00:00:07.983660 GIM: HyperV: Resetting MMIO2 regions and MSRs
00:00:07.984847 Changing the VM state from 'DESTROYING' to 'TERMINATED'
00:00:07.986287 Console: Machine state changed to 'PoweredOff'
Hyper-V is mentioned in the logs, so I think that Hyper-V might be hidden somewhere in the computer.

Please help me I've been spending hours on this.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: I need help. My virtualbox always has the hardware acceleration problem.

Post by scottgus1 »

Please zip and attach the full log, this will help us figure out what may be going on.

Also consider this info from viewtopic.php?f=6&t=93341#p449871
socratis wrote:Look in the "Control Panel" » "Programs and Features" » "Turn Windows features on or off", and make sure that the none of the following are active:
  • Application Guard
  • Credential Guard
  • Device Guard
  • <any> * Guard
  • Containers
  • Hyper-V
  • Virtual Machine Platform
  • Windows Hypervisor Platform
  • Windows Sandbox
If that doesn't work, enter the following command:
  • 
    bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off
followed by a cold boot, i.e. shut down the computer, pull the power plug for 10", reboot.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

qqqqqqqqq wrote:After enabling IOMMU, I still encounter the hardware acceleration error
That's because the IOMMU has nothing to do with hardware acceleration.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
qqqqqqqqq

Post by qqqqqqqqq »

Does it have anything to do with the virtualization? I have a gigabyte uefi and I can't find the hardware acceleration setting and the virtualization setting.
Last edited by socratis on 1. Jun 2019, 15:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

The setting you are looking for in the BIOS setup will be something like "Hardware virtualisation", "Virtualisation" or something mentioning VT-x (for Intel CPU based systems) or AMD-V for AMD systems.

If you want us to give a more in depth diagnosis of the issue you are having then zip the full log file and attach it to the thread rather than just posting a random few lines.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
qqqqqqqqq

Post by qqqqqqqqq »

the log folder is this:
Logs.rar
these are the logs.
(48.2 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

00:00:15.260272 VM: fHMEnabled=true (configured) fRecompileUser=false fRecompileSupervisor=false
00:00:15.260273 VM: fRawRing1Enabled=false CSAM=true PATM=true
00:00:15.260476 HM: HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM: AMD-V is disabled in the BIOS (or by the host OS)
00:00:15.265495 NEM: Not available: Not in a hypervisor partition (HVP=0)
00:00:15.265506 NEM: NEMR3Init: Not available.
00:00:15.265510 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: AMD-V is disabled in the BIOS (or by the host OS)
00:00:15.265544 MM: cbHyperHeap=0x140000 (1310720)
00:00:15.266478 CPUM: No hardware-virtualization capability detected
The logs seem straightforward: AMD-v (since you have an AMD processor) is disabled in the host BIOS. The BIOS option will be called AMD-v, or "Virtualization technology", or something of that nature. It'll probably be in the security settings in the BIOS, but that's just a guess.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

I managed to find this out in three steps...

1. VBox.log states - DMI Product Name: AB350M-DS3H

2. Google AB350M-DS3H tells me it is a Gigabyte GA-AB350M-DS3H

3. Three clicks takes me to the user manual which states:
SVM Mode
Virtualization enhanced by Virtualization Technology will allow a platform to run multiple operating systems
and applications in independent partitions. With virtualization, one computer systemcan function asmultiple
virtual systems. (Default: Disabled)
-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.