[Solved] VirtualBox with Win10 version 1903 and Windows Sandbox

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
jackpetrilli2

[Solved] VirtualBox with Win10 version 1903 and Windows Sandbox

Post by jackpetrilli2 »

If you're using the latest Windows version (v19.03), make sure Sandbox is NOT activated. If it is, you can de-activate it through Control Panel - Programs and Features. Make sure Sandbox is not checked. VirtualBox will not allow a guest OS machine to boot up if Sandbox is enabled. Disabling Sandbox got my virtual machines working again. This was after hours of search and experimentation.

- Jack

BTW FWIW Sandbox is a poor replacement for VirtualBox. It's not nearly as capable.
Last edited by socratis on 31. May 2019, 09:30, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Changed title to something more appropriate.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox with Win10 version 1903 and Windows Sandbox

Post by socratis »

Thank you for the feedback and the solution, hope someone finds it useful in the future. Marking as [Solved].

I changed the title of the thread from "VirtualBox with newest Win10 version" to "VirtualBox with Win10 version 1903 and Windows Sandbox" to better reflect the situation/problem. "newest" is going to be invalid in a couple of months... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: [Solved] VirtualBox with Win10 version 1903 and Windows Sandbox

Post by andyp73 »

jackpetrilli2 wrote:BTW FWIW Sandbox is a poor replacement for VirtualBox. It's not nearly as capable.
It isn't intended to be a replacement or equivalent to VirtualBox. It is designed to run a single untrusted application safe in the knowledge that it won't impact the rest of your PC. The closest Microsoft provided equivalent to VirtualBox is the full Hyper-V experience.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.