Using SAME VM on different hosts

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
adearmas

Using SAME VM on different hosts

Post by adearmas »

Hello everyone,

I have a WIN10 VM with a development enviroment. I am running the VM from an external SSD and its hosts are Windows, Linux and OSX. I develop on windows and debug on the native os for the application.
Everything was just fine until I bought a set of components which I registered running on the windows host. When I used the OSX host, starting the IDE I use, I got "validation error" and I had to re-register the components to be able to use them, going back to the windows host, I got the same error with the same solution. Asking the provider they told me the valiation are done with CPUID.

¿Is there anything I can do to get the same CPUID for the same VM on different hosts?

Regards
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Using SAME VM on different hosts

Post by scottgus1 »

Here's a way to quickly get info on something Virtualbox may or may not be able to do: go to the PDF version of the help manual that gets installed with Virtualbox, on Windows hosts usually "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\doc\UserManual.pdf". You can then Ctrl-F (Find) for the word(s) you hope to lead you to your info.

Looking for 'CPUID' brings us to some possibly helpful info
command: vboxmanage list hostcpuids
command: vboxmanage modifyvm --cpuid.....
sections 7.2, 8.8.6 on Teleporting

Essentially, Virtualbox provides the same virtual hardware between all host platforms EXCEPT the host CPU itself. The physical CPU is the only piece of host hardware the guest OS sees. So your guest is seeing the CPU change, which is picked up by the licensing program.

The above 'CPUID' commands are for limiting the command sets ("leaves"?) of the host CPU that the guest OS sees so the guest can set up for the limited command set common to all possible hosts it may run on. I have never tried this, it may or may not completely hide the CPU change. It's quite possible that the command set may be limited but the name of the CPU may come though, as in AMD Ryzen vs Intel Xeon, etc. Just have to try it.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

If I were to do this (and just as Scott, I haven't), I would go with the least capable CPU. You can "downgrade" a CPU by using the CPUID command, but you can never upgrade its capabilities.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
adearmas

Post by adearmas »

Thank you for your replies. I've done some quick tries and no luck at all.
I'll try to find another way.

REgards