Remote Virtual Desktops, owned by a main user

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Frank1000

Remote Virtual Desktops, owned by a main user

Post by Frank1000 »

Hi,
I'm looking around for a basic concept for “owned virtual computers ?”. What i mean is :
  • Lets say i have a company, that wants to provide virtual computers to remote team members, in countries with internet latency and online stability problems, on their own local machine (laptop etc.). So the latency, internet drop out problem is solved.
  • Such virtual computers be installed on the team members hardware as virtual desktops, running in a browser or such, and uses the computing power of that hardware for the apps that are being used
  • while the ownership and control of that computers belong to the company
  • in terms of data ownership / store data on an online Cloud of the company / work progress tracking / screen record / add remove apps, add remove the access to the virtual desktop / add remove the virtual desktop abroad / etc.
  • How do i go about such a solution ?
  • Is this available OpenSource free ?
Regards,
Frank
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Remote Virtual Desktops, owned by a main user

Post by socratis »

Frank1000 wrote:while the ownership and control of that computers belong to the company
No can't do with VirtualBox. My VM on my computer is under my control. There's nothing that's "locking" the VM if it runs on another computer.
Frank1000 wrote:How do i go about such a solution ?
Not with VirtualBox, I can tell you that much. Or I don't think with any other virtualization solution. The only thing that comes in mind is RemoteDesktop (RDP, VNC), but then you have the intermittent connection problem...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Frank1000

Post by Frank1000 »

wow ... something so useful and possible really missing ?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

It's not useful, generally speaking. It's a really specific case scenario that you're looking to cover your really specific needs, otherwise I don't see why would VirtualBox (or any other virtualization program) would need that.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Frank1000

Post by Frank1000 »

... unless you want to allow team members to use their local machine instead of the company's Remote Access Server (RAS) abroad, to get rid of latency. There is about more cases in my head rt now that i couldn't even count without coming more cases in my mind at the same time.

started from company managed VM-Nodes
to company owned software licenses
company wanted services on the VM
company environment management for team groups
etc.
etc.
etc.

... so its all what the company offers to and manages for the team members
instead of everybody to be trained to update to the new company procedure
etc.
etc.
etc.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Iirc VMware had such a solution (Horizon View with local mode VMs) with locally cached centrally managed VMs. I don't know if this is still current.
Frank1000

Post by Frank1000 »

k cool, thx for hint Martin