VBoxManage connect to a remote server

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Smoke

VBoxManage connect to a remote server

Post by Smoke »

I am sorry if this question/topic has already been discussed, indeed I searched a lot for this but all i get are results regarding how to connect to remote desktops, machines, guests and remote display, i guess due the similar keywords in this question.

Nevertheless, my question is if there is any way to use VBoxManage CLI to manage a remote VirtualBox server, i.e. another host on my physical network connects to my running VirtualBox host and create/starts a machine, or even a guest vm be able to manage its own host trough using VBoxManage?

As i understand VBoxManage is just a CLI that interacts trough API with the server (using tcp/socks?) so wonder if there is a way to specify a different host...

If not, is there any 3rd party CLI tool which has implemented this for linux?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VBoxManage connect to a remote server

Post by scottgus1 »

You could take a look at Third Party Applications. Some apps on that thread claim to be able to allow remote administration of a host. Haven't tried them myself.

Also , if I understand correctly, SSH (or PuTTY?) allows command-line access to a remote Linux computer, and a little googing shows me Windows may have this available too. Get to a remote command line and you could Vboxmanage.
Smoke

Post by Smoke »

Thanks, i will check into those apps and see what i can find
scottgus1 wrote:Also , if I understand correctly, SSH (or PuTTY?) allows command-line access to a remote Linux computer, and a little googing shows me Windows may have this available too. Get to a remote command line and you could Vboxmanage.
Yeah, but that would defeat the whole purpose of vboxmanage remote, I do not want other machines it ssh into the host machines just for run vboxmanage, overkill and secureless
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Smoke wrote:As i understand VBoxManage is just a CLI that interacts trough API with the server (using tcp/socks?)
No, nothing remote, security reasons. Local processes only and it doesn't interact with the "server", there's no server. Well, technically there is VBoxSVC, but that's not architectured the way that you think they are.

For more info look at 10.2 Oracle VM VirtualBox Executables and Components and the SDK.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.