[Fixed] USB scanner stopped working in Virtualbox 6.0.6. (#18593)

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
PHforum

Re: USB scanner stopped working in Virtualbox 6.0.6. (#18593)

Post by PHforum »

Hello,

same problem under 6.0.6

Solution : work again with usb3 xHCI !

inspired by ticket/18593
For the sake completeness: Your host does not need to have USB 3.0 support for VirtualBox to emulate the xHCI (aka "USB 3.0") controller. The xHCI controller handles USB traffic of all speeds, if you have no USB 3.0 on the host it just means the emulated controller will never see SuperSpeed (USB 3.0) devices, but it will handle USB 1.x and 2.0 devices just fine.

- to install USB 3.0 support in XP guests : search virtualbox viewtopic 91053
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: USB scanner stopped working in Virtualbox 6.0.6. (#18593)

Post by socratis »

Fixed with VirtualBox 6.0.10, please try it and confirm.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
qu1j0t3

Re: [Fixed] USB scanner stopped working in Virtualbox 6.0.6. (#18593)

Post by qu1j0t3 »

I'm glad I found this topic, because I just had a similar problem with this setup:
  • VirtualBox 6.1.16 on OS X 10.14.6
  • Windows XP guest
  • Fujitsu fi-4530C USB ADF scanner
Even though I had put thousands of pages through this setup on earlier versions of VirtualBox, the combination above performed very badly, hanging during scanning batches after half a dozen pages or more. Generally very difficult to use the scanner, power cycling and unplugging would sometimes fix the problem.

Based on the hints in this thread I reverted VirtualBox to 6.0.24 and it's now behaving perfectly (i.e. just as it used to).