VB 6.0.4: taking too much time to open File Open Dialog

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Ahmed Haroon

VB 6.0.4: taking too much time to open File Open Dialog

Post by Ahmed Haroon »

hi all,

I am using virtual box version 6.0.4, when trying to create new VM, on its dialog: Select start-up disk its taking approx 1 min 20 seconds and after it opens file open dialogue but its also there in Not Responding state, after 2 to 3 minutes it is capable to show file names to select ISO file...
is there any problem with Options/Settings etc. or I am doing something wrong / missing ... please help.

regards
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VB 6.0.4: taking too much time to open File Open Dialog

Post by mpack »

That sounds like a problem with your host. Slow responses are usually a network problem.
Ahmed Haroon

Post by Ahmed Haroon »

mpack wrote:That sounds like a problem with your host. Slow responses are usually a network problem.
thanks very much for quick response :)
but sorry, I failed to got it... I am trying to create a new VM and ISO files are on my HDD partition, just to Select an ISO file it is taking this too much time... and this problem is only for this action ( only for Virtual Box ).

regards
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I believe that my previous answer is still correct. On any host, with any program, if attempts to open a "File Open" dialog takes a very long time then the cause is usually external to the program and is either (or both) of :-
  • An offline media taking a long time to respond (the dialog usually shows a list of available media in a folder tree. Populating this list involves "touching" each of the drives in turn. If a drive takes a long time to respond, then the dialog takes a long time to appear.
  • Some tool is analyzing the contents of the folder it is about to display, to prevent you from opening malware. If the folder contains some very big files, especially container files with a documented internal structure, and that tool is poorly written, then this analysis can take a lot of time. Obviously I'm talking about AV software here.
Note that in both cases the cause is external to VirtualBox. We know the cause is external because VirtualBox never actually displays a "File Open" dialog, it simply asks the host OS to do so, and return the selected filename. Therefore a slow appearance is going to be a host OS problem.

Where did you store the ISO file? Hopefully it was not in the root folder of a drive, as permission problems and the sheer number of files an AV tool has to scan can both cause problems. You should keep ISO files in a dedicated sub folder.

Besides which, if the problem was intrinsic to VirtualBox then you would not be the only person having the problem.