Recovering encrypted vdi file

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
maromor

Recovering encrypted vdi file

Post by maromor »

Hello.

I have by mistake deleted the Linux.vdi image of a virtual machine named LInux. The VM had an attached data.vdi unit that was encrypted and that I still have.
I of course know its encryption password and I still have the following VM files:
- Linux.vbox-prev
- Linux (WEBM file)
- Linux-1.16-windows

Is there any way I can recover the data in data.vdi ?

Thanks a lot!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Recovering encrypted vdi file

Post by socratis »

What I understand from your description is that you had a VM named "Linux" that had 2 (TWO) attached VDIs; the "Linux.vdi" when you first created the VM, and the "data.vdi", a 2nd VDI that was attached to the VM, correct?

Then you deleted (How? From within VirtualBox? From the Explorer?) the "Linux.vbox" and "Linux.vdi" and now you're left with "Linux.vbox-prev" and "data.vdi". Correct?

ZIP and post the "Linux.vbox-prev" so we can see if the encoded password is still there, and if it covers the "data.vdi". I'm not quite sure how the encryption would work in such a case. For example you can't recreate the VM, that's I don't think even a possibility, because ... you deleted the VM's main drive.

Let's see what we can salvage from this...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.